engine and frane numbers

Bikes or not. Whatever
andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: engine and frane numbers

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

Hi Steve,I wish I was closer I would send my old man over ,he has a knack for finding the right nut and bolt for the right place. I have a spare set of forks I can get details of a spring for you.May I suggest you build one thing at a time,eg engine gearbox then move on to the frame.I bought a Rudge in two boxes when I was 21 every single piece had been pulled to bits,a nightmare,it put me off rudges for ever.What you have is a really nice lot of original bits in good condition,I would have loved it.you just need a good bit of patience and it will do you well.they are a nice machine and not too many about.regards Andy.
stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by stevenbell »

Hi Andy
Thanks for the advice I was going to put the wheels together on the bike to make it better to move around> I think I have already found the front spring and kick start arm still working on that deal. I have all the handle bar controls and cables still working on the outer speedo cable and I am cleaning the gearbox parts as we chat. Any photos /help or advice would be great. I will keep the photos coming if thats ok with Frank

Cheers Steven
stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by stevenbell »

Hi All
does anyone have the install instructions for the twist throttle that shows the cable hooked to the twist grip? also looking for a good shop manual that shows the exploded view of nut,washer and spacer placement like the newer bsa and triumph shop manuals.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

No problem if you keep on sending through to me

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by stevenbell »

Hi All

Ok the hunt is on I am looking for some parts to start
1) D9-131 spring anchorage
2) D9-143 fork spring
3) 114X kick start arm
All parts for the R-RP gearbox if someone has them or can point me to a supplier

thanks Steven
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Latest pictures on progress from Steven.
Attachments
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by stevenbell »

Hi All
So I have removed the head and pulled the barrel light rust at the top 1" of the barrel a light hone should clean that. The piston is the original one standard size the rings are dirty but should clean up fine. the mag not so easy looks like its going to be a total rebuild so I will give that a go and see what parts are needed. what upgrade can be bone if any?
Cheers Steven
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Pictures and comments on piston from Steven

Piston And rings look good you can still see the hone on the barrel and no deep scratching on the wall. I was hoping the piston was high compression. The connecting rod has no up and down play and slight side to side play I don't think I will change the beari‏ng
Attachments
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Steven,

The Club had some parts for the R-RP gearbox at the time when Lester Grant took over the gearbox spares from Steve Childs (son of the late George Childs who knew more about Ariel gearboxes than anyone alive today). Sadly, nobody could identify these parts and Lester, understandably, decided to concentrate on the volume spares, these being for the BA, CP and especially GB gearboxes. Lester sold the un-identifiable parts to John Brewster, who is now a club member. I have recently been able to source a new old stock kickstart ratchet mechanism from John for a friend, but he does need detailed descriptions of the parts to be able to identify them. If you PM me, I will let you have John's address.

When I was asked if I could find the R-RP kickstart ratchet parts my first call was to Club gearbox spares organiser Geoff Brown. Both he and I were sorry that these rare parts had slipped out of AOMCC ownership.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Steven has sent a few pictures through concerning locating the frame number and I have given the following topic location that shows where it should be http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=225

Should it not be on the lug showing in the last photo? first two are lug casting numbers I believe.
Attachments
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG