Nh 350

Singles, twins and fours.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Nh 350

Post by chris.shearwood »

Petebarn wrote:Thanks Chris have you had or anyone else had dealings with brightspark,
I haven't yet had any dealings with Brightspark but I have a magneto sitting on the shelf with the same problem as yours and intend to use one of their condensers to repair it when I get around to it.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
malcolm.johnson

Post by malcolm.johnson »

I have used Brightspark capacitors 3 times now and all have worked great. The best result was by replacing the one in my 1947 iron 4G, which had a totally rebuilt and restored magneto/dynamo (that was unused albeit done a few years ago), but could not go further than 10 miles without bad misfiring problems. The new Brightspark capacitor that I fitted transformed the machine. Thoroughly recommended.
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Been in touch with bright spark they have no uk agent now and Bill Brown who runs it is in poor health so wouldn't take the repair on . is it a difficult job to fit the condenser and disconnect the old one Malcolm bearing in mind I'm colour blind and my site isn't as good as it could be,
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Fitting the Brightspark Condenser is easy - it simply replaces an insulating gasket in the points assembly (in the MO1 Magneto - I haven't tried fitting one to any other types). This makes replacing one a simple process if it should fail (and you have a spare).

The problem is that the original condenser has to be taken out of the circuit - which doesn't mean it has to be removed, just disabled - whilst allowing the coil's primary winding to still be connected to the points assembly.

The Brightspark Instructions show a couple of methods of doing this . . . . (I hope they don't mind):
Brightspark Fitting Instructions.jpg
And again - in .pdf format:
Brightspark Fitting Instructions(1).pdf
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
Removing the old condenser, making up a replacement female contact for the points retaining bolt (3 BA thread) and 'potting' the lot in epoxy whilst keeping everything in line is what takes the time - if you wish to go down that route.

I now understand how magnetos work, which was a big bonus.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Thanks Bob its a lot clearer now
malcolm.johnson

Post by malcolm.johnson »

To disconnect the capacitor on some models does require the armature to be dismantled. This is easy enough if you have the proper pullers to remove bearing inners etc. Pictures of my Square 4 "codesectomy".
20. Sq4 Full condensectomy (2).JPG
20. Sq4 Full condensectomy (3).JPG
20. Sq4 Full condensectomy (4).JPG