frame and engine number id

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

frame and engine number id

Post by SEDoan »

Hello,
I've been offered a couple of Ariel projects that aren't titled. I can get the police to check that they have clean records tomorrow during business hours, but I was wondering if there was any history with the club or factory history.
1937 350 engine BC1382, frame XF9471. If I recall the seller said he bought it in London in the 1980s or something.
1937 500 engine CC1743, frame XF7680. He says the last 0 is smaller than the rest of the digits so possible over-stamp?
The 500 is probably a bitsa and they both might be, but would love to learn more.
Thanks for your help!
Shawn
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: frame and engine number id

Post by Roger Gwynn »

No record of the first, which has matching numbers, originally sold in Leeds, it is an NG

No record of the 2nd one either. It also has matching numbers, this VH was despatched to a London dealer with a single upswept pipe.

More details with a dating certificate from Bennet, details inside CdF front cover or via Draganfly.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Thank you Roger!

Just to confirm the correct frame number for the 500 is XF7680 even though the 0 is smaller than the other digits. (i.e., Not XF768 - inspectors question this sort of thing...)
Hope to run these numbers by the authorities tomorrow.
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The XF 7680 matches the engine so is 99.9% sure to be correct. For many years the 'G' in the 'XG' prefix was a smaller size, I suspect that the original was lost or damaged and the only replacement available was a smaller one. Remember they were not bothered about originality or size of letter stamps in the factory!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.