VB600 starting issues

Singles, twins and fours.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: VB600 starting issues

Post by simon.holyfield »

The pilot fuel supply drilling in the jet block is tiny - 1/32 maybe? I've had mine block up before.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I would suspect blocked pilot passage, tickling will give enough fuel to fire but can't suck any more in. As you have said, very small holes, check using a torch in a darkened room.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
MarkO

Post by MarkO »

Gents

Yes indeed. Pilot passageways are my No 1 suspect at present. I'll pull the carb and investigate. I cannot really think what else it could be.....
MarkO

Post by MarkO »

Update

Pilot passageways all cleaned and rodded through. Carb also given a general clean whilst it was off. No obvious signs of blockage but the threads where the pilot screw locates were dirty. Could have been something in there blocking the air/petrol I suppose. It wouldn't take much. Anyways, from cold, full choke, a smidge of throttle and slightly retarded it seems to burst into life more willingly - second or third kick. I'll see how it goes.....Lovely to ride, bung it top from about 30 and forget. Wouldn't like to take it much above 55, but then it's not the bike for that - especially with our roads and the rigid rear end. Deeply pleasant for a summer evening's chug out into the foothills of the Grampians/Cairngorms.