Solex Bi-starter info/parts

Anything about Ariels
RayBlack

Solex Bi-starter info/parts

Post by RayBlack »

Can anyone tell me where to get a rebuild kit and/or rebuild guide for my '39 Sq4 Solex Bi-starter carburetor? I'm having a hard time finding any reference to Solex carbs on the AOMCC site (may not be looking in the right places???). Web searches that do come up with a reference (usually Triumph related) now just list parts as 'out of stock.' I understand David Jones used to repair/supply parts, etc., but is now retired.
Ray
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Solex Bi-starter info/parts

Post by will_curry »

Have you tried

http://www.arielownersmcc.com/members_o ... /Solex.htm

As for parts - if you find somebody I for one will be pleased to know who it is.
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

Thanks Will. I figured there would be some useful information on the AOMCC site, I just needed prodding in the right direction. Now I have all the relevant information I need I just need a parts source.
Ray
Chris Sealy

Post by Chris Sealy »

Hi Ray. I have restored several 26 AHD carburetors. when I did the first one, a couple of years ago, I also looked for restoration instructions. There aren't any. Even Solex suggested, that after 25000 miles, you should throw it away and buy a new one. Even so, provided that the cheap alloy that they are made from hasn't rotted away, they can be restored to perform more or less, as new. The first thing to do, is to completely dismantle it; and clean its various small orifices. Which parts are you looking for?
Cheers, Chris.
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

Hi Chris. At this point I have access to several complete, but superficially at least, well used carbs. I did not want to start taking apart, and potentially damaging, anything until I got more information on them and at least found a source for gaskets, seals, etc., and any parts that may be worn out or damaged. So as of yet I do not have a 'shopping list.'
Ray
Chris Sealy

Post by Chris Sealy »

There are no gasket, or seal kits available. There is only one gasket in the standard 26AHD. I fit one to the float bowl as well. Although this is not essential. Later Solex carbs had one fitted. The seals are simply, metric size fibre washers. The gasket is easily made from Flexoid gasket paper, using a pair of nail scissors and a hole punch. The main problems are, crud in the internal passages, leakage of air passed the worn throttle spindle, and general distortion; mainly of the throttle body. I suggest that you clear a space; read Bruce Longman's notes, and set to. Then come back here when you get stuck.Cheers, Chris.
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

Thanks for that information Chris. I will pick out what appears to be the best of the bunch and give it a try.
Ray