Black Ariel identification?

Anything about Ariels
RayBlack

Black Ariel identification?

Post by RayBlack »

Hello
A friend of mine has acquired what appears to be (most) of a Black Ariel; reportedly of 1928 vintage. Before he tries to sell it to me, could someone at the club help with positive identification please? A decision on purchase will depend on several factors, not least of which is availability of parts (I am assuming next to none here in Canada). Would the bike have had acetylene lights...?
The engine number is W8125
The frame number is W1180.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ray
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Black Ariel identification?

Post by Roger Gwynn »

W is 1928 and engine 8125 was a model B despatched to Czechoslovakia in frame W 9250. Frame W 1180 went to Toronto as a model A with engine W 2927.

I doubt if there are many parts in Canada but Ariels of this period are better served than any other make so if this era of bikes takes your fancy an Ariel is your best bet.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

Thanks for that information Roger, I can most likely figure out all the other answers I need from the excellent resources available elsewhere on the AOMCC website. Interesting combination of Czechoslovakia and Canada - I guess with the advent of Ebay and other such websites parts from far and wide can now get together. Ray
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by tony.barnett »

Post some pics Ray - the 28 had a lot of unique parts, some photos would help identify parts which might be tricky to source.

But a Model B will be a wonderful thing.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

If I decide to go ahead with the project I will definitely be taking lots of 'before' pictures as, right now, it does look somewhat tired. That said, the frame appears to be intact and have all its original bracketry etc., and there is little evidence of extra bits welded on, or attempts to make it into a chopper... I will be only too happy to share photos as I'm sure lots of help will be needed.
Ray
MGriffin
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MGriffin »

With so many Black Ariels being resurrected these days, Karol will not be able to retire!!
Regards
Michael.

28 Model A
28 Model C
48 Red Hunter