1952 VH Project

tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

1952 VH Project

Post by tony.barnett »

Just looking to see if there is any interest in my project, and some idea of prices.

So, its a 1952 VH. As it came to me it was derelict and it turned out it was a 500 VH motor in a KH chassis. Paul Jameson helped me retain the original registration number so I have the V5C in my name.

Considering the bike - the frame, forks, engine plates, stays, wheels etc have been powder coated. The tyres are fairly recent - 20" on the front, 19" on the back. Bearings have been checked and either replaced or found to be OK. The brake internals are all present.

The engine - the original crankcases (RB engine number if I recall correctly) were chipped on one of the mounting bosses, so I replaced them with another set of RB cases. The V5C has the original engine number but I still have the original cases which of course would stay with the bike.

The bottom end has new mains and big end. Cam followers were worn so they were replaced and the cam has been repaired and reground. The barrel is on +40 and measured/looked OK to me. Piston is an old one, rings could do with replacing (I used what I had at the time). Cylinder head has new valves and guides. I have the rockerboxes in a tin.

I have two (I think...maybe one) monobloc carbs which I intended to use (389, but not jetted for the bike yet).

The gearbox I haven't had apart - it selects gears OK and I recall changing the oil...probably.

Primary drive and clutch is all in place.

Forks have been powder-coated and reassembled with the original bushes and springs (they felt OK to me). I seem to recall I have replaced the seal holders and seals too, but there isn't any oil in the forks.

Rear plungers have been rebushed with bushes from the Club, stainless shrouds fitted. They also need greasing and bedding in.

Mudguards are not Ariel. The seat is not attached - just perched on the bike. No speedo. No exhaust (unless you want a scruffy one). No fuel tank. The oil tank is, I think, a 350 one and will need painting. Its paint is pitted and grimy at the moment. New battery holder is present. I think I have some levers somewhere too. Western yee-haw handlebars fitted. I have some other bits and bobs for it too, but its mostly what you can see in the pics below.

So, its a project. But I'm not really interested in post-war bikes so I'm pondering moving it on if there is any interest. Space is limited, and I'd rather fill it with older junk. I'm located in Swindon. Email me if you wish - my email address is on the back page of Cheval (Swindon Branch)

EDIT - it also has a mag/dyno - the mag hasn't been overhauled but does spark and turn freely. Dynamo is as found.
Attachments
IMG_2071A.jpg
IMG_2070A.jpg
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
tony.barnett

Re: 1952 VH Project

Post by tony.barnett »

No flickers of interest then. Any thoughts on worth in its current state? £1500? More? Less?
KOBI
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
tony.barnett

Re: 1952 VH Project

Post by tony.barnett »

General consensus on the AOMCC FB page is to start at £2k - so if there is any interest out there that's the starting point for negotiations. Drop me a PM if you are interested.
KOBI
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1