VH 1954/7 For Sale – unusual motor

SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

VH 1954/7 For Sale – unusual motor

Post by SimonFletcher »

IMG_6929.jpeg

Re-registered somewhere along the line as a ‘57, but to all intent and purpose has all the distinguishing features, I believe, of a ‘54 model.

Came to me as a basic runner – a lot has been done to bring it up to spec. Some low-key cosmetic work to give appearances a bit of a lift without losing too much history. The brakes were virtually non existent, the electrics were iffy, the clutch was heavy/dragging, there were various dents and scrapes and the paintwork was unacceptable in places.

The somewhat unusual motor is identical to one illustrated on the cover of Cheval some 20 years ago – a special built by former club member Howard Harty. The motor (and gearbox) are excellent. The bike pulls well and it is easy to select neutral when stationary.

Some of the work done:

Brake shoes relined by Villiers Services, new wheel bearings front and rear, new secondhand rims, new steering head bearings, new cables, new tyres – Heidenau K34s, timing chain replaced, valve lifter refurbed and operating correctly.

Complete rewire mostly using thicker 3.0mm cable for less resistance (I wanted to stick with 6V for better charging at low speeds), new DVR2 electronic regulator, now running LEDs all around from Paul Goff.

Speedometer overhauled, new centre stand (previously absent) nicely made by club member, footrests straightened, new rubbers etc, clutch refurbished including new plates and springs from club spares (very light).

Much stainless. Some fasteners were in a poor state – beyond salvation, really. In addition some things were incorrect – like the handlebar U bolts which had ordinary BSA clamps, battery carrier plates etc. These were replaced with nicely made replicas from Acme.

Have done a couple of hundred miles to settle things – all ready for the summer ahead.

£4995

Located near Teignmouth, South Devon – happy to fit in with your transport arrangements!

Message or call on: 07771 736419 – happy to chat 10-6 or send me a text with any questions

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_8769.jpg

IMG_9755.jpg
’54 VH,
‘72 BMW R60/5, ‘83 BMW R80RT