'56 NH350 gearbox crack

Anything about Ariels
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

'56 NH350 gearbox crack

Post by dennis.t »

Took my '56 NH350 gearbox apart today to find a large crack in the kickstart shaft support in the inner casing. The gearbox is a new acquisition so I do not know its history.
Is the crack repairable and should there be a bush inside the hole for the kickstart shaft to pivot on?
If there should be a bush it looks like the gearbox was assembled without one as there is no sign of a broken bush in an otherwise clean set up.
Dennis
Attachments
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1896.jpg
IMG_1895.jpg
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: '56 NH350 gearbox crack

Post by Roger Gwynn »

A quick check in the parts book would tell you that there should be a bush. It is certainly repairable by welding and machining, a used case would be cheaper and easier.
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/63479/kick ... /#3610-52U
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

If the gearbox is for a 56 bike, then the 54 mainshaft will be the wrong length. The different lengths are fully explained in the Drags catalogue and under Gearbox in the Ariel 4-stroke part of their website. Someone will do you a straight swop, I would expect. The GB5 gearbox is the same as the GB6 gearbox, except for the fact that it came with a 2 plate clutch for the 350 instead of a 3 plate one for the 500 / 600 / 650.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Paul,
Many thanks for your reply. I note your comments about sourcing a replacement inner case and the mainshaft length. Strangely, the gearbox was mated to the engine with the engine plates when I bought it suggesting that the engine and gearbox were used together. But, the engine number confirms it is a '56. I shall have to do further investigation into the length of the gearbox mainshaft. Is it even remotely possible that a'54 gearbox would have had a mainshaft suitable for the '56 engine fitted?
Regards,
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

it is very possible that someone has changed the shaft, especially if it has been used in a 1956-58 machine and the clutch has not been rubbing on the primary case. Best to measure the mainshaft as Paul suggests, the shafts are interchangeable.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Roger,
Thank you for that information. I should have credited you with suggesting buying an inner case rather than repairing mine. By chance there was one on eBay that I have purchased. As for the mainshaft, I have the dimensions from a post on this forum but it is difficult to measure the shaft in situ. When I change the inner case I will remove the gear cluster and measure the shaft and take it from there.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Dennis,

Did you find this diagram?

https://draganfly.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... engths.jpg

It has dimensions from the outise of the box so can be used without taking the shaft out.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Will,
Thank you yes I have seen the diagram but I can't take a measurement for 'C' until I remove the sprocket retainer. I will do that at some point to replace the mainshaft oil seal.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Will,
I looked again at the diagram you suggested and the measurement of the main-shaft from the oil seal to the drive sprocket end. I measured this as 3 and 3/8 inches or 3.375. The diagram indicates a length of 3.40 so I believe I have the longer shaft for the FERC which is correct for the '56 set up. It looks like I have been lucky! Not so lucky as I was sold the wrong, thinner, inner primary chaincase. Every day is a learning day.
Many thanks,
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head