MK1 help needed plain bearings

Singles, twins and fours.
malcolmm

MK1 help needed plain bearings

Post by malcolmm »

I have a MK1 1952 The timing side white metal bearing need replacing.I phoned dragonfly to order two
Bearings they told it would be 18 to 20 months or longer.I was told you can make them with leaded bronze
What specifications of leaded bronze does anyone know I have a lathe so I can make them.
Alternative can I get the old bearings rebabitt or white metal poured in then machined
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Malcolm.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: MK1 help needed plain bearings

Post by paul.jameson »

Re-whitemetaling the old bearings was commonplace about 30 years ago and presumably can still be done by those companies who re-whitemetal big end bearings, etc in classic/vintage car engines. I knew people who did it themselves but I don't think any of those are still with us.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

If you run Copper-lead or alutin you need the journal hardened and you have to run a bit more clearance. I've done the white metalling( Babbit) Tin the surface first. You can melt the metal with a gas ring and LPG gas in a shallow ladle with a small spout for accurate pouring Make rings to form thrust faces and seal with muffler putty. Keep heating the bush Oxy torch and stir the molten metal to make sure there's no air holes. If you are reusing the old bush make sure it is a good fit in the case or make a new one from mild steel. (or brass/bronze if you have trouble tinning the steel.) test a bit first. Heat the case before inserting the new bush to preserve the interference fit. Just take the minimum off the mainshaft journal to just clean it up when you are remetalling. Don't increase the thickness of metal. It will fatigue faster. Nev
Colinbrindley

Post by Colinbrindley »

I was in an engineering workshop the other week collecting the SQ4 head after being skimmed, I had to wait a while as he was in the middle of white metalling some Austin 7 bearings. Might be a long shot but worth a call, he also owns a SQ4 himself. Names Rob of Cotterell Engineering. 01246 250459
1947 Square four ironhead.1943 BSA WM20.1948 Brockhouse Corgi in bits. A very patient MRS.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Cotterell Engineering.

That name rings a bell.

Where are they located?
Colinbrindley

Post by Colinbrindley »

ClayCross Near Chesterfield.
1947 Square four ironhead.1943 BSA WM20.1948 Brockhouse Corgi in bits. A very patient MRS.
malcolmm

Post by malcolmm »

Thank you for your response I will try ringing them on Monday.
Thanks Malcolm.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi , Malcolm give Stotfold Engineering Bedfordshire he is old school and very good and helpful :D :D on - 01767-318509 or look him up