Details of '39 Sq4 side stand wanted

Bikes or not. Whatever
RayBlack

Details of '39 Sq4 side stand wanted

Post by RayBlack »

Hello
Can anyone help me by providing details of the side stand fitment for my '39 4G Sq4 project? I have the stand and the block it articulates in, along with the main attaching bolt and sleeve for between the front engine plates. There is a small tapped hole in the block which, I am assuming, is for a locating peg (missing), but there does not appear to be a corresponding hole in the engine plate. The parts book lists a spring clip and clamp to attach to the lower frame tube, but not specific location. A photo of the stand fitted to a bike would be nice, or a drawing, or detailed explanation - anything really.
Thanks. Ray
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Details of '39 Sq4 side stand wanted

Post by will_curry »

You may find this helpful:

viewtopic.php?t=6429&hilit=prop

A search for 'side' on the forum search may turn up more or a look in the
members only document repository of the AOMCC website.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

A few people over the years have borrowed my sample and made copies of these stands but the ones who have come back to me have said that they do not work well. The leg is held up by a spring clip attached to the 'P' clamp bracket. The club has a drawing of the leg but nothing else. I don't know what the tapped hole is for.
TAB 38 4G56.jpg
TAB 38 4G56.jpg (11.2 KiB) Viewed 551 times
Best I have, the stand looks a little odd but I think it is just the angle.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Pete.Silson »

Ray,
The parts book lists a spring clip and clamp to attach to the lower frame tube, but not specific location.
The spring clip bolts to a lug on the lower frame tube.
1.jpg
There is a small tapped hole in the block which, I am assuming, is for a locating peg...
The threaded hole indeed has a small locating peg...
3.jpg
...but there does not appear to be a corresponding hole in the engine plate
...that locates outside the edge of the engine plate (no hole in the engine plate)
4.jpg

Although it is nice to have original parts on a bike, these stands are next to useless and I would never rely on one to keep my precious machine upright.
Pete
Last edited by Pete.Silson on Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayBlack

Post by RayBlack »

Thanks Roger for the information and photo. And a big thank you to Pete - I was not expecting anything so specific and extensive as the photo series you provided. Really, really helpful.
Ray