Synthetic OK?

Johnwells

Synthetic OK?

Post by Johnwells »

Hi Chaps,
I've just got my first Ariel, (sports Arrow) that needs running in after rebuild (Suzuki pistons).
Is it OK to use synthetic oil for these or stick with mineral? Is it OK to switch from mineral to synthetic at a later date?
THANKS! for any recomendations

john
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Synthetic OK?

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Save your money and use mineral as there is no advantage to using synthetic. You can also use less oil than originally recommended as modern 2/ oil is very much better.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
rogerlee

Post by rogerlee »

Hi John,For once I will half agree with Roger,After running these engines for 30 years I have settled for running the first 500 hundred on mineral oil to get the rings to bed in,The next 500 hundred on semi synthetic ,Then fully synthetic at 32 to one from then on ,Yes its £5 a litre extra on mineral oil but I have never had a light seize since on four different engines and 30,000 miles,It smokes very little ,Flatland Roger and out
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

A date that will go down in history!!!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Johnwells

Post by Johnwells »

Thanks both :)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Wayback mineral and synthetic were not mixable and some synthetics didn't provide protection against rust. Now they are all supposed to be compatible. Synthetic is made from LNG. Most competition riders in things like Extreme Enduro etc use it.. There's less smoke and less oil needed for a given amount of petrol. I don't believe in running two strokes at high power while still cold. and I wouldn't use any special run in procedure other than no extended full throttle ops for the first 500 miles. Start with short acceleration bursts when just hot and increase max speeds as the miles accumulate, but don't hold them for very long initially. Your clearances should be correct from day one. Don't run it LEAN or off tune in any way.(oil seals).Makes sure there's no carbon restrictions in the exhaust system. Nev