NG350 1946 4sale by 'We sell classic bikes'

Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: NG350 1946 4sale by 'We sell classic bikes'

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I don't know if the factory built another jig or modified the one they had, in fact I would expect them to have more than one jig per frame type as 16-20 bikes per day for one jig is a bit much. I am sure they would have realised that the 500 engine wouldn't fit or rather that the rocker boxes could not be removed, otherwise they would have used surplus HC frames on the 500s as well as on the 350s in 1945/6.
I am sure that the oft repeated fact that the W/NG frame was based on the 1938 ISDT bikes is a myth, I would love to know when it was first in print. Extract from a forthcoming book on this and other subjects:-
The W/NG is usually claimed to be based on the competition 350 campaigned successfully by Fred Povey in 1938, but no evidence has been found for this and it is not known where this story originated but it is repeated in every article about the W/NG. Ariel did list a competition model but there is no evidence that they had a special frame or forks to increase the ground clearance, something the factory were likely to have given publicity to, had they done so. The differences on the competition models were modifications that were fairly cheap to produce, such as open primary chaincase, nail catcher, 21” front wheel and high level exhaust system as well as the usual engine modifications. One of the 20 or so competition models sold in 1938 was despatched to Fred Povey in November 1937, which he rode to victory in that season's Scottish Six Days Trial. All of these competition bikes, including Fred Povey’s, list various extras and alterations, mainly tyres; none list special frames or forks.

In fact Ariel riders were rather successful in the 1938 Scottish, Fred Povey was overall winner on his 350, Len Heath was the best 500 and Jack White the best 250. As they were Ariel mounted this netted them the Solo Team Prize and the Manufacturer’s Team Prize (solo) for Ariel. It did not stop there, as the best sidecar, over 350, was DB Gunn on a 500cc outfit, that netted Ariel the Manufacturer’s Team Prize (mixed) as well.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

And here he is : Fred Povey on his Ariel during the 1939 ISDT somewhere on the Großglockner.

note the centre stand, shortened rear mudguard, air bottle and yes.. definitely a high clearance frame :lol:

F.Povey-1939 ISDT -large- code FE-GA-1939-0401-1.jpg
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

I've ridden the Grossglockner on my big Beemer - but it was covered in snow !
A bit of a 'butt-clencher' that.
Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'd no idea he had a centre stand!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The W/NG frame was supposed to be based on his 1938 Scottish trials bike not the 1939 ISDT plunger machine shown in the photograph. I have not previously heard of a high clearance plunger frame.

Been over the Grossglockner 3 times on Ariels, only once were we stymied by the weather. The first time we went the weather was glorious and Otto said that he had been to ride it 6 times previously and the weather was always rubbish. Hell of a climb and the road is a bit fast for much fun on an old bike. The glacier at the top has almost disappeared now.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.