wanted

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: wanted

Post by paul.jameson »

Well that proves yet again that you learn something new about Ariels every day. I haven't done a serious count but looking at the despatch books, I reckon that well over 90% of the swinging arm Ariels in 1957-58 had the FERC. So it was one highly successful optional extra, even if many owners subsequently discarded it. In fact, the only other optional extra of similar popularity I can think of is the speedo for UK models in the late 1930s - after speedos had been made compulsory in the UK so you would have to buy one anyway!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
oliverjp

Post by oliverjp »

Thank you mick for the picture ,there is no sign of the forward part of the FERC so if it was originally fitted it was removed along time ago or as i believe it had just a smaller type chain guard .
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Hi Oliver, Draganfly list the non-FERC open type of rear chainguard you are looking for. Not cheap though. Here is the link :-
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/70503/chai ... k/#5720-56
All the best,
Keith.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

The 56 parts list suggests that the forward chainguard is common to both the FERC and rear chainguard.

Regards Mick
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Combining the front part from a FERC with the 'normal' chainguard does not work straight away.
There is no cast-on ridge on the rear of the later primary chaincase.
But you need something to keep the muck from reaching the underside of the tank and in severe cases your nostrils . :D

passen FERC (5).jpg
Picture above shows that the rear chainguard interferes with the FERC front part and that the lug on swingarm does not reach the guard bracket.

Picture below : re-dressing the FERC front part in such a way that the rear chainguard has freedom of movement.
Voorstuk FERC op HS (8).jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

with hindsight, I would now fit the earlier rear part from the primary chaincase and combine it with the top rear chainguard and the 1954 type lower chainguard. that 1954 lower chainguard also has a small screen attached covering the tire.
Using top and bottom chainguards is a must if you want your rear chain lasting any lenght of time.
Spray combined with muck flying from the rear tire at that spot is comparable with putting the chain in a blasting cabinet !

'54 bits look like this :
1954 swingarm chain guards.JPG
oliverjp

Post by oliverjp »

Thank you for the information i can see i have a few options to work with many thanks ,Oliver
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The swinging arm and chainguards are different for 1954 and 1955, oh and the wheel is different. Re-reading the Vincent post I see you were bodging, sorry adapting, the earlier chainguard.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Go on then Roger, the 1955 top run chainguard had an extra lug at the back and
the swinging arm (Pivoted Rear Fork) had a corresponding lug. What is the
difference between wheels?

Apart from the thinner hubs for HT speedo drives I though all the 7" half-sided
hubs with ball journals were the same.