Square four carburettor

Singles, twins and fours.
malcolmm

Square four carburettor

Post by malcolmm »

Hi
Need help pleases . what alternative carbs will fit a 1952 square four MK1 4G and jet sizes.
Thanks Malcolm.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Square four carburettor

Post by will_curry »

An Amal Concentric can be made to fit and that's what I've done to my Square Four.

However as soon as I've fixed the stripped petrol union thread the Solex is going
back on. The Amal has turned my easy-going bike into a complete neurotic. It may
deliver more power but I don't find it at all pleasant to ride any more.
Chris Sealy

Post by Chris Sealy »

Hi Malcolm. One of my winter projects is to build a 26AHD. I have the main body parts; missing, jets, float, etc. I have discovered that good parts are very hard to find; and expensive. However, I'm hoping it will be in useable condition by early next year. If you haven't found one by February, contact me and I will update you on progress. Cheers Chris.
malcolmm

Post by malcolmm »

Thanks everyone for your help I will look for a Solex 26 AHD carb .the bike did not come with a carb
Anyone who has one for sale let me know.
Thanks Malcolm.
FraserB

Post by FraserB »

I thought I'd add my experience with the Draganfly mkI Carb kit which uses an AMAL concentric carburettor
This kit fits nicely and looks the part
https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/78108/conc ... t/#7500-89

only when the engine starts did I find out the error in my decision...

basically :
a. the carb kit jet setting of 150 is way too lean. the engine overheats very rapidly
b. with a jet of 450, it more or less works, but soots up the back two plugs
c. but in any case, the suction force of the 4 cylinders causes the slide to block in place when you arrive at a junction. This suction stops it from dropping back down meaning it overspeeds at idle, until you find a way to stall the engine

funnily enough, now I've spent the cash, learned from my mistake, I find a few similar references to this on internet.
all a bit too late....now the Solex is back in place it works like a dream

very disappointed by Draganfly, I must say, who thought it may be a porous cylinder head...well, enough said, the money is gone and the Solex has proven to me it is the Carb King for Sq.4 MkI's
(the head wasn't porous after all... or before I tried my adventure either..)

Anyone need an AMAL mkI concentric ???