1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Anything about Ariels
Damien Towning

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Post by Damien Towning »

More pictures of sundry bits.
Attachments
engine00.jpg
engine01.jpg
engine02.jpg
engine03.jpg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Started cobbling together the parts I have all in to one vaguely motorcycle shaped object.

Lathe is now running. Just waiting for a faceplate and some other tooling. When those bits turn up will begin to turn plugs to fit the frame lugs.

In the mean time hunting for more bits to help with frame alignment.

I've spotted what looks like an early Ariel rear wheel hub on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25502082356 ... media=COPY

Is this hub early enough to fit a 28? Anybody able to identify it ?
Attachments
mess_mockup.jpg
Karol Burger
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Karol Burger »

No, it's a younger model
Ariel 500 E - 1927 /Ariel SF-1931 ,Ariel SB - 1932 / Ariel 4F6 - 1932, 1934 / AOMCC Slovakia Branch Secretary

https://www.arielklub.sk/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/322716757874756
https://www.facebook.com/ArielKlub.sk
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Looks like it says 'Hinton'! What bore is the cylinder looks a tad small to be 81.8 or 86.4. The 4 bolts look like 0740 and would have been used 1938 onwards. I have never tried a later cylinder on the early cases but not surprised that the spigot clashes with the baffle plate. To use those parts together some surgery would be required.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

if no '28 barrel + head is to be found you can use this later iron engine ?
Fitting a enclosed valve head on a total loss bottom end might give some oiling problems, or better, the lack of oiling.
Me not being a real mechanic my gut says a enclosed valve iron engine with it's 'positive' oiling from the pump is designed to get some oil.
the open valve greased heads have a different 'approach' ....a grease gun.
So... possibly the later engine fits, or maybe the crankcase is wider? (fit spacers) and there could be a problem with lining up the engine drive shaft with the rest of a '28
lots of roads to follow, but as the saying goes....all roads lead to Ballarat :D
Vincent.vanGinneke

20231207_181140.jpg
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

I am measuring a bore of about 81.6 mm. When I put the cylinder on top of the 28 cases it 'appears' that the push rod holes line up. They look to be the same thickness as in the picture to but it looks like they don't line up in that photo? To confirm the head fits I was going to get some push rod tubes and check this. I thought about dropping the newer cases in to the frame to see if they fit but it would be nice to run the original cases. My plan to get oil to the top was just to take a hard line off whatever the plunger / tank arrangement is. I've not investigated that gubbins yet. Another question. When I looked in to the later cases I saw that on the drive side (?) it had an open cage ball bearing then a thick washer then the race for a conical bearing pushed in ( I think ) behind it and then after that another open caged ball bearing on the outer side of the case. What is with that odd ball stack of bearings? i was expecting to find a conical roller bearing in thar? The mysteries continue! The later engine came from a deceased estate. I was pretty sure I recognised the Hinton name from a bike I saw out at the Southern Classic one year. More curiosity continues.
Vincent.vanGinneke

3 bearings on the drive side ? and a conical one also ? never heard or seen that.
Steel flywheel Red Hunters have on the drive side a next to the flywheel a caged roller bearing / spacer / smaller ball bearing.
By studying pictures and drawings you will get the idea what goes where.
The Draganfly website is also a fount of knowledge
singlebottom.jpg
VH exploded view.jpg
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Somebody may have put a taper roller in there but it won't work.A modern Ball bearing will be OK Making 3 of them all up. Don't forget the circlip and spacer on the drive side and then another spacer to set the end float against the flywheel, Timing side has one also. Nev