petrol tank cap washer

Singles, twins and fours.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

petrol tank cap washer

Post by volker.halbach »

What kind of material can I use to make a new washer for the petrol tank cap that doesn't shrink?

So far I have used a washer cut from cork. This works well except that the cork dries out over the winter when I store the bike with an empty tank. Every spring I find myself cutting a new washer. I ordered a plastic washer from Draganfly, but its outer diameter is slightly too small, so it falls out of the cap, when the cap is removed. Any idea what I could use to make a new washer?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: petrol tank cap washer

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I assume that you are talking about the large filler cap 1930-55 type. I have been slightly annoyed by the washer falling out but never enough to do anything about it. I will have a word with Draganfly to see if they can alter it. The best material to cope with modern fuels is Neoprene or Viton.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

You also need to use the right cork out of one peace not the glued particles ones, they can be bought from a hobo- clarinet repairshop or the big internet Chinees, they about 3 ponds a leaf for one bigg cap and a few smaller.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have spoken to Draganfly and they say it will not be a problem to increase the OD, so I have drawn it up and sent it in, the next batch will be a better size. The problem is if it is too big the gasket will tend to ruck up or wrinkle, hopefully I have it right with an increase of .05".
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by volker.halbach »

Thanks, Roger. Yes,it's for the large 1930-55 type. It looks like an increase of 0.1" might be needed; but I haven't tried whether that's too large. Trimming down a washer isn't a problem, of course.
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by tonyh »

I think Nitrile rubber is fuel and oil proof.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i spray the cork in my petrol cap with WD40 to stop it drying out in the winter or when i am standing my motorcycles up for awhile :)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I use thick cardboard proper gasket material and make it a large enough diameter to fit tightly into the corner of the cap. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it in. Bit like the reverse of putting a tire on a rim, but never had one of them fail (or Leak). Nev
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charles.bulloch »

An MZ cap washer for a TS250 fits straight in.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by volker.halbach »

Thanks to all. I thought about making a washer from thick gasket paper, but thought that paper gaskets are not a good idea for surface moving relative to each other. I'll cut a washer from a Viton. I am not keen on the ritual of boiling or soaking cork and got already rid of the cork in the fuel taps.