Major oil leak from rear enclosed chain case

Singles, twins and fours.
Paul Helleur

Major oil leak from rear enclosed chain case

Post by Paul Helleur »

Hello everyone,
I'm relatively new to the forum. I have a '56 Huntmaster and have been trying to eliminate excessive oil draining from the rear enclosed chain case.
I would be happy just to oil the rear chain with a can of spray lube. I have tried blocking the oil line that leads from the bottom of the oil tank going into the chain case with some wire stuffed into the line. But it doesn't seem to have reduced the oil leak much. Is there a way to safely stop the automatic oil flow to the rear chain ?
Thanks Much
Paul from Canada
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Major oil leak from rear enclosed chain case

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Paul - how much is 'major'?

Probably worth checking the condition of the felt wick in the oil tank, maybe it's missing completely?

This thread might help:
viewtopic.php?p=88975

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's worth checking the gearbox oil level too - a leak via the sleeve gear bronze bearing can manifest itself in the FERC.
GB Sprocket.png
GB Sprocket.png (186.57 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Regards Mick
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Have you over filled the primary case, the level plug is too high,
AOMCC Treasurer
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

Thank you Simon, Mick and Dave,
Simon had asked about the size of the leak. I normally get about a 1 to 2" puddle after a 45 minutes ride. My Draganfly parts catalogue and manuals do not show a picture or give a parts # for this 'felt wick' . I believe it's just under the oil tank tap and provided I've found it correctly .. it seems to be there and reasonably intact. Mick, the gear box oil level was a bit low but not at a serious level. As you suggested it's worth investigating the sleeve gear bronze bearing for a possible leak there. Thanks for that information. Dave, I checked the primary case oil level and it seems ok. But I'll be sure to never overfill.
I regularly oil all my rear chains by hand. Would there be any problem if I simply plug the hose pipe leading from the bottom of the oil tank to the rear chain case ?
Many thanks to all of you !
Paul
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Paul

When I blocked off my oiler I used an expanding plug in place of the felt wick. I think it was the rubber sleeve from a 'Dremel' type small sanding drum mandrel and a couple of suitably sized washers, a screw and bolt, (sorry can't find a photo of it), but it's easily removed if needed and seals well.

I lubricate my chain with ceramic wax, (Putoline), and in view of the chain being well protected by the FERC I don't expect to have any problem with disconnecting the oiler.

Regards Mick
Paul Helleur

Post by Paul Helleur »

Thanks again Mick. Your method of replacing the felt wick sounds very good. I do have an old rubber sleeve from a Dremel sanding drum.
Regards,
Paul