1936 Red Hunter gear problem

Singles, twins and fours.
Colin Dettmann

1936 Red Hunter gear problem

Post by Colin Dettmann »

Hi all
I have recently acquired a 1936 Ariel Red Hunter 350 cc. The problem is that when I attempt changing gears, from first gear to second gear, the gear goes all the way down to top gear.

I would appreciate your assistance a and advice before I pull the gearbox apart.

Kind Regards
Colin
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1936 Red Hunter gear problem

Post by admin »

Moved to 'four stroke' - it can have a broader audience than just W/NG!

SG
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

It will have to be dismantled in order to fix it, so take it apart and I think the problem will be self evident. It could be any number of things but I suspect that the zinc alloy spring box has crumbled to dust.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by volker.halbach »

I had the same symptoms. In my case the pin in the control quadrant 3526-33 had come loose and was moving back and forth. Sometimes it did stop the gear lever, sometimes it didn't. To check you need to take off the outer cover of the gearbox. If it's another problem, I would still expect the problem to be in this area around the spring box as this keeps the lever from going too far.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The spring and little arm that index's the selector drum may be malfunctioning also When you get the outer cover off see how the small gear on the end of the selector moves. I use circlip pliers. Have the bike on a stand and with some manipulation of the rear wheel you should get a definite detent into each gear including neutral. . Nev