Last Rides of the Season

Bikes or not. Whatever
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Last Rides of the Season

Post by chris.shearwood »

Here in Québec, government approved winter tires are mandatory for most vehicles between Dec.1st and March 15th and as there are no government approved motorcycle winter tires, this regulation ends the riding season. As the forecast for the next couple of weeks is not good, I took advantage of some unusually nice weather today to get out one last time on my bikes. It was about 45 degrees F (7 degrees C) this morning and the 50 weight oil in the motor slowed down the kickstart lever quite a bit but the Sq4 started right up and ran well although I left it on the halfway position of the Solex "flooder" knob for longer than usual. Since putting the motor back together I haven't put many miles on this bike but what a pleasure it is to ride (on well-surfaced roads!). These old carbs/motors seem to just love the cool weather and it felt like the bike was almost bursting with smooth power.
I hadn't run the VH for weeks and it took three kicks to wake it from its hibernation even though the after lunch temperature had warmed up to about 54 degrees F. It too just thrives on the cool air. Improved volumetric efficiency I guess.
I am a bit embarrassed that I didn't get around to washing and waxing either bike this year - oh well, it sort of gives them a bit of patina, eh?
Attachments
Low res VH.jpg
Sq 4 Nov. 16 low res.jpg
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Last Rides of the Season

Post by Ian.Taylor »

I had my last ride on my Ariel VF31 as the VHA head is still at the machine shop.
Took some nice fall photo's.
Took my 83 BMWR80RT out for its last ride today as the Temps are dropping and crappy weather is coming.
Good to see your still using the Ariels Chris
Attachments
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Last Rides of the Season

Post by nevhunter »

ALL those bikes look great, Guys. Keep E'm alive and protected from the elements. They are survivors and deserve it. Nev