1949 NG 350 piston type.

Singles, twins and fours.
BarrieSteel

1949 NG 350 piston type.

Post by BarrieSteel »

Looking at the parts book 1948 piston listed is part no 1664-39 wn/g 3comp ring type,can't see at listing for 1949.The concern I have is the oil pump has the later 1/4 feed plunger, which is correct for the year.Will it be a problem to fit 3 comp ring w/ng type I have,regarding more oil flow.Don't have the original piston so not sure what was type fitted,Thinking did they fit oil control ring same time as oil up upgrade?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1949 NG 350 piston type.

Post by Roger Gwynn »

There isn't a 1948 book as the 1946 book was reprinted each year with a year added to the date on the cover sometimes using a rubber stamp until a new book was issued in 1949. This was only a supplement listing errors, deletions and new parts. they were probably too busy building bikes at the time and there were few if any changes 1946-48. The 1949 supplement lists new pistons with oil control rings for all singles, however you are safe to use either type of piston with either pump, yes the earlier piston may use marginally more oil.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Try the 3 comp ring piston if you have it. Don't widen the groove for an oil ring. I did that in my youth and then decided I'd weakened the piston too much and just sectioned it for show. I prefer the full skirt not the slipper type.(cools better). IF it smokes just fit a good condition earlier pump. They work fine on a 350. Nev
BarrieSteel

Post by BarrieSteel »

Thank's both for your replys,will go with w/ng piston I have easier find those type.Unless I can find a +20 scraper ring type,someone wants to sell.