Update...It seems to fire up better with the following

Full choke
Just a tad retarded from full advance
No priming kicks
The briefest of tickles or none at all
Find TDC
Take it just over TDC with lifter
Close lifter and kick - no throttle

Not quite there yet. I shall persevere. I have a feeling that I was flooding it beforehand so I don't think giving it more fuel will be beneficial. The carb does indeed slope down towards the engine so perhaps more prone to flooding than normal?
MarkO

Re: VB600 starting issues

Post by MarkO »

Further update

No choke
Just a tad retarded
Take it just over TDC with lifter
No tickle, no throttle.
Close lifter and kick

Simple.... It has now fired up 4 times from 4 first kick from cold. I was clearly over-thinking things! Probably comes from having a Velo - whose starting procedure is a little more complex.
SteveShone

Post by SteveShone »

That sounds very much like my experience with Ariel singles :) Glad you've found the knack. Of course, the next bike will be completely different :D

Steve
bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by bevanclark »

My VB is very susceptible to flooding. From cold I never used the choke. I give it 30 seconds or so to fill the float chamber, a couple of dabs of the tickler and watch for the very first sign of petrol which appears at the banjo thread, then turn the fuel off (in case of back fire). No priming kick, take over tdc, 1/3 ish retarded, then give it a long swinging kick with a small amount of throttle. Usually fires 1st kick.
MarkO

Post by MarkO »

Bevan

It does seem that way on mine too. I don't think the downwards sloping carb helps either, nor does the possibility of it leaking - albeit very slightly - at the float valve. I do turn the petcock off after a run for that reason. It is a lovely bike, and there is something deeply honest in its relative simplicity, in the way it seemingly could just chug along all week, and by providing a good dollop of torque when required.