Paint codes-1953 Square Four

Singles, twins and fours.
evan.matthews

Re: Paint codes

Post by evan.matthews »

Hey all,

My dad's -- now mine though it feels strange saying that -- 1953 Ariel Square 4 got gouged in the fender and needs the red pinstriping and the black repainted.

Does anyone know the paint codes for these colors?

Evan
1953 Ariel Square Four MKII. Dad passed and left the bike to me and I'm committed to taking good care of her. Atlanta, Georgia, USA. AOMCC Member.
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Paint codes-1953 Square Four

Post by admin »

Evan - this is better off in the '4-stroke' area, I've moved it from 'Two strokes'. (Two strokes had different paint colours.)
I don't recall Square Fours having pin-striping in the mudguards/fenders, could this be a custom paint job?
A photo might be useful.

SG
Roger Gwynn

Re: Paint codes-1953 Square Four

Post by Roger Gwynn »

There are not any paint codes for Ariel colours, there are various recommendations but it is unlikely that your bike has the original paint, which will have faded anyway, so you should match what you have. There are places that will scan a colour and provide a match. Ariel's did not use pinstriping except on petrol tanks but they were often applied to jazz them up a bit by dealers in the USA and by owner's. Although I have come across at least one in the despatch book that specified lining on the mudguards.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
paul.jameson

Re: Paint codes-1953 Square Four

Post by paul.jameson »

As the holder of a golden anorak, I feel I should point out that Ariel also used pinstriping on the wheel rim centres.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.