Oil carry over- SQ4

Singles, twins and fours.
camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Oil carry over- SQ4

Post by camstevens »

Hi All
3, 000 + miles with a new engine, and most things are working nicely, especially since sorting fuel and ignition issues. Starts easily, plenty of compression, feels quite powerful, etc. But there is one thing I can't get to the bottom of yet.......after a run on A or M roads I get some oil carry-over into the pipes, particularly the right side. The oil pressure is 55 to 60 PSI when running at speed, and when hot will idle at around 10 psi. I assume if the timing side bearings were shot, I would be unlikely to get these sort of pressures? I also seem to lose some oil out of the breather. The video has poor sound quality, but one can see the pipes.

My thinking on possibilities
- way too much oil going to rockers, and getting sucked down upon engine-braking
- Timing side bearings shot (but doesn't appear so judging by pressures above)
- Morgo scavenge pump is struggling at high flows...maybe some damage in the unit.
- Possibly weaker cylinder dropping off and pushing oil around (I have my suspicions around cylinder 2).
- Maybe just needs a really good run on the road......I've been messing around on shorter runs getting other issues sorted.

Am I missing the obvious? :?

Cheers
Cam
Oil carry-over.mp4
(11.64 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Oil carry over- SQ4

Post by camstevens »

With video
Oil carry-over.mp4
Oil carry over
(11.64 MiB) Downloaded 69 times
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Is it rebored? You may need to use running in oil if it is
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Cam, I’am not a SQ expert, but as you mention over oiling ‘upstairs’ realy can be a problem with a SQ.
You might find some topics on this issue on this forum. The oil pressure of 55>60 psi when running sounds not bad. Keep in mind that new rings do take quite some mileage for bedding in due to the quality of modern oils. It just takes longer nowadays. Saying that, it might be the rings are still not for 100% in shape to keep the oil ‘downstairs’ which most certainly does not help to avoid oil on the piston crowns.
camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by camstevens »

Hi Paul
I suspect the lack of decent runs and short runs hasn't helped. Apparently it's clear here on Saturday morning, so a nice early start and run out to Reading and back (70 miles return). That might be what the doctor ordered :)
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'd ride this a bit more Cam. Mine is slightly more smoky on the timing side, exhaust is slightly more sooty though it doesn't appear wet.

Mine is at about 3600 miles now.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
camstevens
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by camstevens »

Hi Simon
Yes, a combo of short runs sorting out issues + the roads where I live have become impossible to get a decent run on. Unfortunately means braving the M3/M4. Higher survival chances on the Somme :shock:

I suspect the bores are glazing a little + muck building up in pipes.....

Cam