Black ariel spares officer

Bikes or not. Whatever
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Black ariel spares officer

Post by cmfalco »

Leejm wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:45 pmAny suggestions of items of interest to make in the future
To assist your efforts, I went through the Table of Contents and Appendix 1 of my book to remind me of items I had to fabricate or purchase (or might have had to purchase) when completely rebuilding my 1928 Model C.

https://www.amazon.com/Ariel-Chronicles ... B0BN61Z6H1

Also, I fabricated approximately 30 special tools and jigs, but below only have listed a half-dozen of the more general ones.

piston with gudgeon pin (Omega piston gives the right balance factor)
rings (these come with a new piston, but ideally also should be available separately as replacements)
small end bush reducer
valves
valve collets/keepers
valve guides
valve springs
pushrods
metric spherical roller main bearing with ID resized to Imperial
timing-side bush
oil pump
clutch plates
clutch springs
clutch bearing rollers
engine sprockets (19T, 21T, 23T) [note: several incompatible cush drives were used]
gearbox sprockets (19T, 22T)
variable magneto sprocket (made by someone in Australia)
gearbox bearings
brake linings
wheel cup/cone bearings

Special Tools
magneto sprocket extractor (stock)
magneto sprocket extractor (variable sprocket)
1¼ BS deep socket for gearbox sprocket
clutch hub sprag socket
socket for adjusting tension on clutch springs
brake pedal extractor
MGriffin
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MGriffin »

Great news Lee for us “Black” handers.
Charles Falco has listed a few items that will be useful to keep the bikes running but many are already supplied or available. Geoff Brown has much Q parts but I dont think there are LS Sturmey Archer parts in the club? Happy to be corrected there.
The oil pump presented the biggest engine problem for me. Making these would help many others I feel, Vincent vanGinneke comes to mind!
Cush Drive spring also comes to mind. Note: The 1260-26 Vintage Spring on the club spares list doesnt fit.
Valve lifters for SV,
Cam Follower Pin - Its longer than later engines,
Front Engine plates tin covers.
Flat plate exhaust clamps, Karol has finished making these I think.

PS. Martyn Adams here in Adelaide with me makes an excellent vernier magneto sprocket and posts worlwide.

Good luck!
Regards
Michael.

28 Model A
28 Model C
48 Red Hunter
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Lee, as Michael has said , some of the parts are already available, if mot in the UK.
It will be low production, slow sales. So review carefully what's asked for . some people ask for a part rather than do the homework and find it's already out there.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Don't worry dave , I will do all homework that is needed .
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
cmfalco

Post by cmfalco »

Leejm wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:32 pmDon't worry dave , I will do all homework that is needed .
I'm sure I overlooked other items as well, but add a big end bearing to the list in my previous post. However, I didn't mean to imply that I thought the club should stock everything on the list since, as others have mentioned, many are available from other sources (e.g. Alpha, for the big end bearing).

Available from other sources:
e.g., big end bearing, variable magneto sprocket, gearbox bearings, etc.

Reasonably made as one-offs by an engineering firm:
e.g., valve guides, various bushes, pushrods, etc.

Unreasonable for most people to commission as one-offs:
e.g., engine sprocket and cush drive, oil pump, valves and springs, etc.

If it were me (and I'm glad it's you, not me), at least for the time being, only items in the third category would be up for consideration. For something like an oil pump, I would try to gauge "true interest" by whether someone who needed an oil pump was willing to do the work to find an engineering firm to make them, including the price for just one, a batch of ten, and a batch of twenty. Then, based on how many people were willing to place pre-paid orders with the club (say, three people), I might commit the club to make a batch of ten, knowing the other seven might take a decade to sell. But, also knowing that, without an oil pump, a given black Ariel never could be rebuilt, so having them available would be a genuine service to the club.

But, that's just me.
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Thank you Charles , yes not everything is possible to make or stock . And some things are already available at other places . As I'm new to the job a general idea where people are finding things difficult to get . Is always helpful . Feedback is always a good to get an where maybe issues lie .
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.