For Sale: QH gear set for 1928 Ariels

cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

For Sale: QH gear set for 1928 Ariels

Post by cmfalco »

Short Version: I have an unused 'QH' ("High Standard) gearset for some 1928 Ariels for sale for the same price I paid when I bought it in 2017, i.e. £400 (or equivalent) plus shipping. The actual ratios from the number of teeth are 2.013:1 (1st), 1.476:1 (2nd) and 1:1 (3rd).
QH_01.jpg

Long Version: When I got my 1928 Ariel in 2017 it had 'QL' stamped on the gearbox.
QH_02.jpg
Upon researching my intended use of it on the 2018 Cannonball cross-U.S. run, I quickly decided 'QH' ratios would be better. However, I assumed it would be hopeless to find such a gear cluster, so I would have to make do with the 'QL'. Then, an ad appeared in the December 2017 issue of 'Cheval de Fer' for reproduction 'QH' gears so I immediately ordered a set, even though at that point in rebuilding my bike I had not yet opened the gearbox.
QH_03.jpg
I ordered it because I didn't want to risk the limited number selling out, so I gambled the internals in my Burman were the same as the 'QL' stamped on the exterior. Apparently, the gear sets did sell quickly, since I believe the ad only appeared in that one issue. However, when I finally opened the gearbox, I found it already had a 'QH' gear cluster in it. Oh well.

I didn't consider trying to sell the gears at that time because they might have proven necessary if my gearbox failed on the Cannonball, which it didn't. Then, not long after the Cannonball was over, an Irish friend with a 1928 Ariel asked if I would sell the gears to him, which I was happy to do. So, I shipped the box to Cork. Unfortunately, Burman changed the gearbox slightly during 1928, and his gearbox needed the type of cluster with a speedometer gear as part of it, which my cluster does not have. The box then moved to another friend's house in Dublin where it lived during the covid years. But, after attending this year's Irish Rally, I brought it back to the U.S. where it will sit forlornly in my garage if no one wants the gears.

Postage, with insurance, when I bought it was £40, but no doubt is more now. However, without spending too much time looking into it, the £/$ exchange rate is 2% lower today than the average for 2017, and inflation since then has been 25% so, presumably, if the same gears were manufactured today they would sell for approximately £500 plus shipping. Life doesn't always give second chances, and rarely third ones, so if you want a set of new 'QH' gears at 2017 prices, send me a Private Message. I'll leave it to the potential buyer (if any...) to research the cost of shipping it to them using whatever service they prefer.
pepcak

Re: For Sale: QH gear set for 1928 Ariels

Post by pepcak »

I believe these gears sets are still available from Geoff, at least I bought one from him approx a year ago.....
cmfalco

Re: For Sale: QH gear set for 1928 Ariels

Post by cmfalco »

pepcak wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:24 pmI believe these gears sets are still available from Geoff,
If that's the case, shipping within the UK certainly should be less expensive than from the US. However, since these were a club-sponsored item, why would that ad have appeared only once in the club magazine if they were still available nearly six years later? Or, has it appeared more than once and I just didn't see it?