Burman GB gearbox

Singles, twins and fours.
TaylorB

Burman GB gearbox

Post by TaylorB »

Hi All, My Ariel HT5 is fitted with a Burman wide ratio GB gearbox, about which I have three questions if anyone can help me

1. Is it OK to run a GB gearbox on a 50/50 mix of molybdenum disulphide grease and 50 grade oil as this seems the only way to stop the outer cover leaking

2. Is the clutch on the HT the same as the VH ie 3 cork plates and 4 plain plates.
My basket is badly grooved from the plates and I need to get it repaired or buy a new one. When I pull the clutch in without the engine running it clicks quite loudly. I have been told that this could affect gear-changing especially selecting first from neutral. Any comments

3. The workshop manual says to leave one coil of the clutch springs clear of the cup can anyone draw what this means.

Thanks guys
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Burman GB gearbox

Post by Roger Gwynn »

1 yes if the grease is OK with bronze bushes, some lubricants are not, better to fix the leaks I would suggest
2 yes, baskets are available as exchange items from Draganfly or I believe new from the club
3 So that 1 coil is visible or proud of the cup.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
TaylorB

Post by TaylorB »

Thanks for your advice Roger. Will rebuild the gearbox and cure the leaks (hopefully). Will get a new basket
Craigd

Post by Craigd »

Hi, does anyone know how the new oil seal goes in the ba gear box (orientation) as the new one over rides the old one. Pictures would be great if anyone has one or a link cheers Craig