Oil Pipes - 1954 VH

Singles, twins and fours.
bruno.crossley

Oil Pipes - 1954 VH

Post by bruno.crossley »

‘Evening chaps. I’m currently trying to recommission a recently aquired 1954 VH and would appreciate some guidance. Among other things, I’d like to replace the lashed-up oil pipes.
IMG_8758.jpeg
IMG_8756.jpeg
I’ve bought new feed and return pipes but they don’t line up very well with the unthreaded pipes from the oil tank.
Should both feed and return stubs from the tank be parallel? The return one points upward.
IMG_8767.jpeg
IMG_8765.jpeg
If they are supposed to be parallel, what’s the best way of bending the return without damaging the joint to the tank?
I’m also wondering what route the rocker feed pipe should take between the oil tank rubber tee-piece and the gap between the rocker boxes. Does it go beneath the magneto mounting platform?
Does it then run up the back of the barrel to the left of the carb? Is the hard-line rocker feed pipe supported anywhere other that at each end?
Thanks, Mark
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Oil Pipes - 1954 VH

Post by dennis.t »

I had the same problem with the pipes not lining up but the tank pipes were not so badly out of line as yours so I was able to bend the pipes from the engine to create a smoother path. I bent the engine pipes off the engine in a vice with soft jaws. I think if you bend them in-situ you may get kinks. I have not tried bending the oil tank pipes but you may get away with it using a tight fitting box spanner over the pipe to give you leverage. Others may have better suggestions.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Regarding the rocker feed, I can't see the 'T' piece on the inside oil tank pipe in your photo. On my '55 VH the rocker feed comes off that 'T' piece and the rubber pipe follows the line of the frame over and above the carb to the metal rocker feed pipes. If you have that arrangement, the rocker feed is on the return oil feed from the engine. On my engine the metal rocker feed pipes are unsupported but the banjos are large and sturdy and easily support the pipework.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Just spotted the rocker feed oil pipes in your upside down photo! Mine are the classic T arrangement that suits the rubber pipe following the frame. I now see that your pipe follows the line of the cylinder so your take off point from the oil tank will be different from mine. The rocker feed rubber pipe is small bore and flexible so I suppose any route that works should be fine.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi would tweak the oil tank pipes a bit i think the oil tank may have been dropped if the tank has been of the bike
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

JohnnyBeckett wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:53 pm hi would tweak the oil tank pipes a bit i think the oil tank may have been dropped if the tank has been of the bike
Me too. I'm pretty certain they are brazed in.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Chris Sealy

Post by Chris Sealy »

I would push a Philips type screwdriver into the pipe and push downwards; as far as your nerves will allow. By the way, it looks like your new pipes could do with internal de-burring
Cheers, Chris.
bruno.crossley

Post by bruno.crossley »

Thanks everyone for the input. I’ve heated the oil tank return pipe with a small blow torch and used a deep socket to get enough leverage to straighten it up.
IMG_8773.jpeg
The tee-piece is on its way from Draganfly and the up-and-over direction looks good for the rocker feed. I’ll solder up a new rock banjo set-up using a spare NH one, for the fittings.
Thanks again. Mk