T&L Elstow, bedford.. White metalling, grinding, balancing etc

Recommend a bike related business
Brian.Fosh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

T&L Elstow, bedford.. White metalling, grinding, balancing etc

Post by Brian.Fosh »

Barry at T&L has been superb to sort out white-mettaling and line boring my SQ4 main journals, regrinding the cranks, re-sleeving the barrels to std and fitting/making new valve guides.

tandlengineeringbedford.co.uk

They did a pretty good job of welding several broken fins too.. I really can't see the repair after they aqua-blasted the castings back to a clean, crisp finish.

T&L have been around 40 years or so and Barry's father, now 85, still potters around the business that he set up. With 7 staff on board and his Son Barry managing the business, he was telling me that they have a state-of-the art balancing machine and diamond honer unique to the UK for which they trained in the US. They have invested heavily over the years because of the amount poorly balanced cranks they encountered, sent to them to be put right ... and the volume of modern and performance work they do for santa-pod etc. They had half-a-dozen new Aston cylinder blocks for machining. An iron head from a SQ4 is also currently underway, and they undertook work for e.g old-warden vehicles etc.

Old school skills for sure.. but state-of-the-art equipment too and a freindly bunch with time for you.

As you can imagine, they don't advertise and have a big order book off the back of reccomendations .. I felt very welcomed and in safe hands a they steered me through a few issues (related to Draganfly's to-size liners vs my earlier pistons made to iron-barrel clearances).

Brian.
kevinbowman

Re: T&L Elstow, bedford.. White metalling, grinding, balancing etc

Post by kevinbowman »

Glad to hear that T&L are good as I am heading there tomorrow with crank cases to be line bored + a crank regrind and balance. While they are away going to have a look inside the gearbox to make sure all is ok as like everything else on the bike not been good so far as it had stood unused for over 50 years.
ANDYHO

Post by ANDYHO »

I have just used T&L too.
Barry and the team made, fitted and reamed new main bearing bushes and ground all the crankshaft big end journals. They also repaired damage to the cylinder barrel fins, rebored the cylinders and faced off the cylinder head mating face.

All the work is to a high standard and I have no hesitation in recommending them. I will certainly be using them again.

Andy
ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ken-drink »

are they still open, website not there any more?
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by john.davies »

Here is the link to the web site https://vintage-engine.net/
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH