Ariel 600 single pot?

Anything about Ariels
Denlevy

Ariel 600 single pot?

Post by Denlevy »

Hi Guys and of course girls,

Just came across photo attached of Ariel I had when I was 16. It did have an enclosed Watsonian sidecar on it until I misjudged a corner one night and hit a telegraph pole which very easily ripped off the sidecar. It didn't help having three of my mates in the sidecar, the smallest one behind the seat holding one of the battery terminals on for the lights, and one behind me. The sidecar ended up in a big bramble bush still in one piece just about, mate behind me fell off the back and I finished up in the ditch on the other side of road. Nobody hurt too bad except me with a very grazed knee/leg and bruises where the bike fell on top of me. Those were the days!!! Is this a VB 600 as I was sold it as 600cc any idea what year roughly, top speed about 50 mph if lucky and the exhaust pipe front section used to get red hot. It didn't ride very well minus side car, probably a bit bent somewhere. It did kick back sometimes when starting it, to many levers for a 16 year old. Gave us plenty of fun for a few weeks though. It still comes up as a "do you remember"
Scan_20221209 (3).png
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Ariel 600 single pot?

Post by simon.holyfield »

Looks like a VB to me, about 1951-53, hard to tell without seeing the gearbox.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

If it was a 600 it was either a VB side valve or a Squre Four, I am guessing the former. Your message is lacking the photo.
I once hit a couple of parked cars on my outfit trying to avoid a cat, the bike hit the back of a 3rd car and the bike somersaulted over the chair ending with the plot upside down in middle t'road and my girlfriend about 20 yards down the road.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Ally head puts it at 52 or later, the reg is Derbyshire August to October 1954, rear cable brake 1953, fluted tank with enamel badges 1954.
Reg isn't in the register and not on DVLA. The square side car tyre on the front would not have helped the handling.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
admin

Post by admin »

Duplicate topics merged to keep Roger's warning about the dangers of avoiding cats... :mrgreen:

SG
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Not a nice way to be separated from your Girlfriend either. Nev
Denlevy

Post by Denlevy »

Thanks guys, 53 sounds about right. Did your girlfriend dump you after that Nev, hope the cat was alright.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I think that's for Roger. My wife never rode in a sidecar. She drove it with the family in it. Very competently if I might say so. Put a lot of blokes to shame. Nev