Ariel Arrow Super Sport

Anything about Ariels
Denlevy

Ariel Arrow Super Sport

Post by Denlevy »

Hi to all, Just joined the club, Awhile ago purchased Ariel Arrow Super Sport reg: 955 POO, I know, who would buy a bike with that reg: Well I did. ;) Pic below.
It was a collection barn find that had been laying around untouched for 8 years I'm told, sold as a non runner. Topped up the old battery and charged it, put it on bike, turned on petrol, gave it a tiggle and surprisingly it started 2nd kick with the petrol that was in it. The one I had years ago was always finnicky for starting. Runs nicely but float is stuck or missing so turned off quickly as was leaking petrol. Auction details sold as matching no's but unfortunately not so, I missed the auction update. Chassis no. is T31638G and engine no. T30998B. My questions are does anyone have history of this bike, or know of the original engine or replacement engine, a long shot I know but would love to find original engine. I know these bikes are marmite but I love em. I've finally got time to work on it and want to fully restore. Anyone know of decent powder coaters around mid suffolk?

Look forward to getting involved.
Attachments
rec11546-10_5.jpg
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel Arrow Super Sport

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi and welcome to the club and forum i would get it enameled it is a lot better than powder coat
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Den:
Welcome - nice buy, looks to be absolutely complete and even the chrome looks reasonably good.
I'm in the process of trying to revive a (BMW R100) frame that was powder coated; it looked pretty good to start with but then I noticed a few little lumps and a couple of splits; yep, under the powder coat it's crawling with rust. Clearly wasn't prepped properly and the powder coat makes a superb good job of disguising any problems until it's really, really far gone.
And it's almost impossible to remove.
I agree with Johnny, use paint, not powder!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Denlevy

Post by Denlevy »

Hi Simon, Johnny, Thanks for advice, had thought about enamel and get what you are saying. Oddly enough couple of nights ago was watching a Drew Pritchard on classic cars and he actually said also that enamelling was far superior to powder coat but more expensive. Our dear Henry Cole thinks the Arrow was the worse bike ever made and it was that that ruined Ariel. This was on his Motorbike show latest series episode 4 I think. I think they are a very nice looking bike and love that 2 stroke high rev burble, not as fast as equivalent Triumphs or BSA but did corner/handle much better in my opinion. Except when the footrest hit the ground if you lent to far into a corner. Onwards and upwards.

Dennis
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi , take no notice of henry cole . i think it was the jap bikes that ruined the british bike market and i think the Ariel two strokes are very good bikes :D
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

We all know the history of the arrow,it was a great idea and a fairly good one in its day,I think it was made with the forsight that the jap strokers were begining to come to the fore, and it was a reply to that.One of the problems was Ariel were taken over by BSA and they did not want the arrow. Things were done quetly in the development of it especially the racing of them.There are some very nice ones about today, showing what could have been. If only. There are some very nice modified ones in the vintage racing circles.Mike Hose rode one in the IOM this year.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have seen some very nice racing ones at the classic bike show and the classic off road road show at kempton park autojumble :D
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Greetings Johnny,there sure are a few very nice ones and seriously well tuned ones about,Ken Spayson had a bit to do with making a few frames and trying teles on them in the early sixties.
Bernie Blundell

Post by Bernie Blundell »

It's for a good reason that he is called 'the twat in the hat'
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

Mmmm.!! seem to have struck a sore point Sorry Bernie.