Amal 75/014 help!

Bikes or not. Whatever
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Amal 75/014 help!

Post by paul.jameson »

To start from cold my bikes which have the 76 or 276 carb I depress the tickler until I see the first sign of petrol coming out of the slot above the big bottom nut. The slot is hidden by the float chamber so you have to be at the correct angle to see it. Then ease over compression and give a good kick. The bike may start first kick, or it might take one ore two more.

From hot, I don't bother with the tickler and they usually start with one or two kicks.

Obviously, UK fuel may be somewhat different from Australian fuel so you may need a slightly different technique, but you can over flood one of these carbs.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Amal 75/014 help!

Post by nevhunter »

Yes you can, Paul but turning the tap off and giving it a bit more throttle will fix that but requires a more skillful kicking technique. It's alright for us blokes that grew up on this stuff but the rev happy, electric start JAP bike people have a bit of adjusting to do. The problem with OUR fuel here is it doesn't vapourise like the older fuels did so needs more flooding to get it to fire. There IS an air slide there that might be able to be brought into the equation but I've rarely used it for that. Nev