Lucas MCR2 clip sought

General electrical problems
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Lucas MCR2 clip sought

Post by nevhunter »

If they rust away what's happening to your Guards etc? Do you still put salt on the roads? Nev
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

Yes, we overdose on road salt but the bike was in a shed for many years before it became my project and I’m not sure how much salt was used in the 1960s. Oh yes, the shed had a very leaky roof and whilst it looked ok outside water got into the engine through the carb and an open valve also into the gearbox through the speedo drive. Inside, everything was a rusty mess, the mudguards were of course totally shot with more holes than metal. It’s looking a bit better now.
Bernie Blundell

Post by Bernie Blundell »

Paul Gasson wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:58 am Fair point Nev, I have the same unit on my Triumph so measured it at just over 1.6mm, similar to Simon’s information, not sure what that would be in SWG but piano wire in this size is easily obtainable and as I have one, I know the shape and dimensions. The long curve on the top will be interesting to make but I will have a go. I just hoped that replica parts for this item were being made somewhere as they just rust away.
1.626mm = 16 SWG
HTH
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

👍
Paul Gasson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Paul Gasson »

Just to finalise the thread regarding my search for a Lucas MCR2 regulator cover clip. I could not find a source of replica parts anywhere, there are a few originals around but sometimes it could be easier buying an old regulator just for the clip if you need one. I am grateful for the offer of a NOS clip I received. I decided to try to make one so bought some piano wire 1.6mm diameter. I got it as a straight length rather than a coil. I also bought a small forming tool modellers use for RC connections. Using the original clip from my Triumph as a pattern I formed a basic U shape and then made the J ends to suit. Finally, I put a couple of small bends in the top part similar to the original but not a long curve. The first one worked perfectly on the Triumph but when I tried it on the Ariel, it was too tight. A second one with slightly different length sides was a perfect fit on the Ariel.

The tool is the K & S Metals 323 and there are plenty of piano wire traders out there, I bought quality German made material in 500mm lengths. You can find both on-line in the UK and elsewhere. Only problem with the tool is that it only has one bend radius.I am sure many with suitable workshops could have done better but I am quite pleased with my shed efforts.

Here is the clip in place, bike nearly finished just looking for a regulator shroud now.
Attachments
5CAB2D9A-5031-4674-83F3-94B6B87C8D27.jpeg