Sq4 MkI- new life

Singles, twins and fours.
Gui.dorey
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Sq4 MkI- new life

Post by Gui.dorey »

I think I may have found the culprit (2nd photo). The metal disc came loose from the lead and was just loose in the distributor cap. What do you think?

Nev, I don’t have any suppression leads - see 1st photograph.
Attachments
IMG_5688.jpeg
IMG_5687.jpeg
1951 Ariel Square Four MKI
1954 Ariel NH Red Hunter
1929 BSA Sloper
1946 BSA B31 (project)
1954 BSA C11G
1960 Harley Sportster XLH
1951 Harley WL 45
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Could be, especially if the lead was pulling out of the cap. The strands should be splayed out of the washer.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by daveleek »

Gui,with the Thorspark ignition maybe you need resister plug caps,what do they recommend in the fitting instructions
Gui.dorey

Post by Gui.dorey »

Good news! The fault was indeed the HT lead which had pulled out of the washer in the distributor cap. Today she ran without problems. Thank you Paul for pointing me in the right direction.

I just did a short ride of about 20 kms, and all went well. Kept top speed below 70 km/h and just cruised along. Still needs some fine tuning for the ignition timing and air needle on the carb, but that’s fine. The oil pressure gauge kept around 20-30 psi, once at temperature, on top gear and cruising along, so it seems all right for now. However the needle does drop to O when I stop at an intersection and running at idle… don’t like that much.

Cheers,
Gui
1954 Ariel NH Red Hunter
1929 BSA Sloper
1946 BSA B31 (project)
1954 BSA C11G
1951 Harley WL 45
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

I am pleased to hear it is now working ok. You don't have any ideas as to why my 1937 Square Four intermittently runs perfectly but then develops a serious misfire do you?

As I have said so often about Square Fours, it doesn't matter what the problem is, but the symptom is a misfire.

Going through France once, the Square started to misfire, so I stopped. Sure enough, John Bradshaw, who was with me, spotted that my rear tyre was going flat ! ( For the record, I had a sticking exhaust valve and a slow puncture, but the misfire was the first I knew of either.)
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Gui.dorey

Post by Gui.dorey »

paul.jameson wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:32 pm You don't have any ideas as to why my 1937 Square Four intermittently runs perfectly but then develops a serious misfire do you?
:lol: I would guess something to do with the ignition :lol:

Interesting enough, it didn’t occur to me to look at the ignition first, because she started and settled into idle perfectly, and ran well on the stand with no misfires at all. The misfires only came later. The most obvious symptoms after taking off was a lack of power and that the engine didn’t rev up once in gear. Thought it might be the timing but as advancing and retarding the distributor didn’t change anything, I started looking at the Solex with a displeased suspicion. Poor Solex, getting blamed for nothing.
1954 Ariel NH Red Hunter
1929 BSA Sloper
1946 BSA B31 (project)
1954 BSA C11G
1951 Harley WL 45
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Sticking exhaust valves are not that uncommon. Some of the anti friction additives can cause it particularly IF you are motoring a bit faster than usual, and moreso with IRON Heads which run hotter that alloy ones. Nev