Selling Bikes, best methods.

Bikes or not. Whatever
Reg.Webster

Selling Bikes, best methods.

Post by Reg.Webster »

I have not ridden any of my bikes for about 5 years after hurting my back and ending up in hospital, it took 9 months to be able to walk properly.
(Do not unload a couple of ton of sandstone and build a wall in your late 60s/early 70s)

I will be selling the following bikes, all running perfectly when stored in the Garage, thats not totally accurate, one is in the utility room.
Im struggling to assess the values of the bikes as looking at eBay I see a bike that is not as good as mine going for a fortune, then one better than mine going for a very low price?
I'm located near Liverpool post code CH60.

1958 NH 350cc single.
1958 Huntmaster 650cc twin
1946 Square Four 1000cc

My first bike since the mid 1970,s 1958 NH, bought it from a bloke who was a retired garage owner/mechanic he had rebuilt the engine 5 years earlier, the rest of the bike was scruffy but all worked well, as it was a mutual friend introduced me to him I bought the bike and have had years of fantastic rides on her. I decided after a couple of years to give her strip down to paint the frame and fittings. I bought the huntmaster to ride while I did this.

1958 Huntmaster, bought this from one of the AOMCC committee members and knew it had been ridden around Europe two up without any problems.
I have not done the miles John did but have had some good rides on her, a very fast bike. But I suddenly got a chance to buy a SQ 4 localy

1946 Square Four came with a certificate from the vintage owners club stating it is a perfect example as it left the factory bike, It was sold from a shop in Chester in 1946. this bike is an older rebuild with receipts for engine rebuild etc. I lovely bike to ride.
She ran perfectly when last driven. She has been a fantastic motorcycle to ride, easy to start while sat in saddle as low compression with the 4 cylinders, the NH350 needs to be on the stand for me to start, (age related I think).

Any Ideas/Experiences.
Thanks
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Selling Bikes, best methods.

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Prices are soft at the moment with the current economic situation but you will still see dealers and dreamers listing bikes at pre covid prices. Some of these bikes have been on the market for years. However, good bikes do sell at the right price.

Ebay/Marketplace can be a hassle as you have to entertain all sorts of people. I have sold many bikes through a dealer on a commission basis and that has worked very well for me. I can recommend Chris Spaett at Venture Classics (07748 114339) as an honest gent, he should be able to help you get a fair price.
Richard.Carrigan

Post by Richard.Carrigan »

Hi Reg,

My own view is that although our bikes no longer require an MOT by law, a bike with an MOT is more likely to 1) attract interest and 2) sell for a good price. I think this is particularly true when selling via the internet or via an auction house. For example; at the last HJ Pugh auction there was a pretty 1948 NG350 with original log book, invoices etc. It hadn't met it's reserve when bidding stopped at (I think £3,500). When I went to put in a post-auction bid it was rejected with a strong hint that the reserve was north of £5k. Would you pay £5k for a bike without MOT and without being able to hear it run? Well, if it was a Vincent I think we'd all take the risk it was missing engine internals etc, but an NG at £5K plus?
Good luck with your sales.
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

Don't waste your time with the well-known on-line auction site. All you will do is accumulate fees and no sales.
I have just tried to sell two motorbikes (not Ariel's) and both failed to reach even my modest reserve. Lots of watchers (over 900 for one bike) but no bids.
Prices seem to be at rock bottom at the moment. I contacted one of the people who made an offer after the auction was over and agreed a price well below the reserve. Then I found that the only way I could get his details was to list the bike for sale again and pay another listing fee and a sales fee! Lost my shirt on that one.
I agree that having a current, long MOT is worth having to secure a sale even if the bike does not need an MOT as it provides some peace of mind for the buyer.
That auction site has its merits for buying parts etc., but buyers seem to want something for nothing.
Don't be fooled by the prices dealers want for their bikes, they can play the long game. It is not indicative of what you will get for your bike.
Try and find an Ariel owner who wants another one (or two) at least they know how good Ariel's are and what they are worth.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress
Richard.Carrigan

Post by Richard.Carrigan »

Of course, you could always try selling them on here. Why not post loads of photos of them in the sales section and invite offers?
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

I’m afraid I do not agree with having an MOT on a classic bike. Personally it would make zero difference, as all it tells you is that it was considered roadworthy the day of the test. Most MOT testers will never have seen a similar bike before so will be muddling through which bits they can accurately test.

In my opinion, a good, honest description is the best way to go. For example:

“Magneto and dynamo restored by renowned TC Transmissions of Halesowen 12 months ago.”

“Sensible upgrades with 12v electrical system and stainless steel rims and spokes from Devon Rim Company.”

If care is taken when writing the advert, it is easy to present the bike is well cared for and has been thoughtfully renovated, which gives the buyer greater confidence that they won’t find any nasties.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Mike.Morgan

Post by Mike.Morgan »

EBay can give a false impression of values. Often bikes will sit on there for months or years with no chance of achieving the price listed. Unfortunately, the market is not in a good place with supply being higher than demand.
Dave.Thomas
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Dave.Thomas »

If you need to share details with another eBay user, one cheat method is to use the facility to send a pic with the message. Take a snap of your phone number on a piece of paper and send that with your message. I did it last week purchasing a sailing dinghy and we then spoke ‘offline’. After I’d inspected and collected it, the seller cancelled the sale and paid no fees
allan.walker

Post by allan.walker »

So, is the best way to use Ebay with their huge customer base to find a buyer, then fiddle things so Ebay doesn't get paid any fees?
I hope that you don't complain if you fall victim to a scam....
Bernie Blundell

Post by Bernie Blundell »

I bought my Leader off Car & Classic.com, loads of pictures & excellent discription, seller also made a 'walkaround' video (posted on youtube) including engine starting & running, the video tipped the balance from others I was looking at