Ouch!

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
David Smith

Ouch!

Post by David Smith »

Well that was a bit unexpected, another trial run on the KH500 trying to sort the jetting out and coming back into the village it picked up an iron spike through the front tyre, and immediately got into a violent swerving and intermittent massive tank slapper routine. I managed to avoid the oncoming traffic and half steer it to the nearside and slow it down a lot before it clipped the curb and slammed me ontoa house drive entrance.I thought I had landed across the bars or bar end mirror, with a fair old impact and with petrol leaking out the filler cap thought I had better move, two nanoseconds later I changed my mind as my hand seemed to be pointing somewhere odd and my arm was not keen on the idea. Heartfelt thanks to a the lady following me who I must have frightened. Robert and many others and passing bikers I was too dopy to remember for assisting in my hour of need, and the ambulance guys and emergency response who were there im probably less than five minutes. They enjoyed breathalysing a magistrate lol! I got to try out the latest super dooper pain relieving inhaler which was well up to the Vodka Standard, Anyway result following inspection by the brilliant emergency staff at YGC is a cleanly broken humerus and the latest super dooper snazzy velcro sling. I think the bike is mostly OK as a bonus, but it did start to rain when I was lying there doh
The carburation is still crap though!
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Ouch!

Post by nevhunter »

Glad that you're OK David. A sudden flat front tyre is not fun... Nev
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thanks Nev
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Ouch. Not nice. Hope that you are recovering well. The rest of your body will be a bit sore for a few days. Glad that you got picked by lots of helpers.

(How about the bike?)
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune David. I once had a rear tyre blow out at about 55mph and managed to stay on the bike, albeit ending up on the wrong side of the road. From that I know that you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of staying on if the front tyre goes suddenly. Let us hope you mend quickly. Incidentally, I took the KHA out again today - carburation is crap on it !
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thanks Paul fortunately damage to the bike is very light, mainly a bent footrest and mashed footrest rubber!
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Since carby's are mentioned, I got a new one for mine, 1952, (when that was possible) and that is a good start but other faults can cause things like a bluer pipe on one cylinder. and uneven idling. Cam wear, loose valve guide and magneto Cam worn unevenly to mention a few. I also bought a new unused head for the earlier model long ago too, bit the later one has more fins. The Ariel twins weren't that popular in Australia. Triumphs were the popular choice. I ran a "worked" ZA 7 BSA that spent a lot of time in pieces but I was hard on it and had the resources to keep fixing it. Not money but where I worked.. Having money has eluded me. Nev
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

David
best wishes for a speedy recovery
David
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Just reading this for the first time, wow, hope your on the mend.

Steve
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thanks for the good wishes folks, just time to sort now, probably ok for the winter!