Rear wheel spindle related parts

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Dave S

Rear wheel spindle related parts

Post by Dave S »

Hello again.
Due to my on-going ignorance and lack of clear diagrams in the parts book I find myself requesting assistance from those more knowledgeable, again.
Rear wheel spindle components -
Attached pic shows the random selection of nuts etc. from outboard of the bearings on my rear spindle.
I don't know if any of these are original and correct? As one of them (found under the brake plate) is clearly stamped with BSA and the piled arms I have my suspicions that all may not be as it should be... (and the plain hex nut looks like it should be on a C15 front spindle to me).
Can anyone identify any of the items in the pic as correct with a part number and a hint as to where they should go?
From there, by a process of elimination I should be able to work out what else I need to buy, or make?
Do I despair? No. Working on old bikes mostly involves sorting out the ****-ups of those who have gone before...
Attachments
IMG_0607.JPG
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Rear wheel spindle related parts

Post by will_curry »

The only two parts which look correct to me are the plain nut in the top right
and the flanged nut in the middle at the bottom.

Take a look at the exploded view of a rigid rear wheel in the parts list for 1953
singles and compare part numbers with the W/NG part numbers.
These are available in the Members Only area of the website.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Will, many thanks for your reply and for pointing me in the right direction, wasn't aware that the post war parts books would have better illustrations.
Time to go shopping...
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

found on Drags website... :D
WNG rear wheel lay-out.jpg
and for good measure the front one :lol:
WNG front wheel lay-out.jpg
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Vincent, thanks for that pointer.
I've ordered and received some of the spindle nuts and spacers from Drags. But what I've received - and I don't doubt that Drags know what's-what - just raises more questions about exactly what I'm dealing with. The nuts I've received are threaded 9/16" 20tpi, the spindle I have is 5/8" 20tpi.
Therefore back to basics to make the best of what I have whether it is original to Ariel or not; make or modify nuts and spacers to fit the spindle and position the wheel so the gearbox and rear wheel sprockets are lined up then check and if necessary adjust the rear rim position so it is where it should be.
This was supposed to be a quick cosmetic overhaul...
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Dave:
Ariel rigid-frame rear wheel spindle size is 9/16" - I don't think any Ariel had a 5/8" rear wheel spindle.
Looking at what can be seen of the rear wheel in the pic you did for the field-stand end, the wheel certainly looks very 'Arielly'.
Just the sort of mystery you don't want - that's the problem with these quick cosmetic overhauls!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

The 5/8" spindle fits the inner size of the taper roller bearings, which suggests I don't have the right bearings?
Otherwise the spindle seems as it should be? - with an integral collar to locate the brake side bearing inner and two flats on the non brake side threaded end.
Yes Simon, agreed, the rest of the hub appears exactly as it should be; to my limited knowledge...
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

Dave,

There are some images and some information in the following
thread you might find useful:

viewtopic.php?t=13075
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Dave S wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:16 pm The 5/8" spindle fits the inner size of the taper roller bearings, which suggests I don't have the right bearings?
The original bearings have been tricky to source for some time, these days replacements seem to have sleeves to get them to fit a 9/16" spindle so the 'right bearings' might be anything that can be made to work!
Somebody might have decided that a bigger spindle was a better (or easier) solution than sleeving the bearings....

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Simon and Will, many thanks for your input, at least it's a bit of a comfort that I'm not the only one to have come up against problems in this area.
The explanation is entirely plausible re what may have previously been done re the spindle and bearings I have. in view of correct parts not being available
Bottom line for me in lieu of a better alternative (involving all the right parts) is still to make the best of what I have and make nuts/spacers etc to suit the 5/8" spindle...