Houston, we have a problem.

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Houston, we have a problem.

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Whilst riding yesterday along the North Devon coast I noticed a new whirring noise from the 1938 VH engine, it sounded like metal on metal, possibly a bush rotating in its housing.

The sound was intermittent and I limped the last 3 miles home, towards the end it was re-occurring more often.

I drained the oil from the tank when I got home, it is due for a change and is quite black (as usual) but I didn’t notice anything gritty in it. I was wondering whether fresh oil might sort it out but that would be a tad optimistic, it looks like the engine will need to come out for disassembly.

Does this sort of noise ring any bells with anyone?

I think CAM 121 is going to be off the road for a very long time! When I can get some cash together I’ll be looking for a recommended engine builder with Ariel experience to do the work, does anyone know of such a person?
20230515_155324.jpg
Paul_Linden

Re: Houston, we have a problem.

Post by Paul_Linden »

Rather than fearing the worst, have you looked for something ‘easy’ such as a drive chain catching, or the cush drive nut rubbing on the case?
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

It could be anything. As you don't appear to have bits of metal in the oil (drain into an old roasting tin or similar, leave a couple of hours, then decant out and see if there is debris in the bottom of the tin) I would start looking in the primary drive. It might be nothing more than one of the clutch studs or bolts.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Dave:

The most 'whirry' things I can think of are the dynamo, or the gearbox. Maybe the cam gears if something has got out of line. Are you sure it's the engine?

(I'm not sure that 'whirry noises' count as 'hideous injuries', worrying noises are almost everyday in my Ariel experience. I guess it depends on your 'normal' riding experience... :twisted: )

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I'd go with Paul. Check clutch nuts and primary chain not to tight and driveshaft cush drive. The primary chain adjuster needs to end up pushing the gearbox forward or the extra tension of the rear chain will pull the gearbox backwards. Check your fuel cap is not coming loose. That's caught me a few times. Nev
Dave.Barkshire

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Thanks for all your comments.

I will be doing some checking, first stop is removing the dynamo and then checking primary side parts.