spares

Bikes or not. Whatever
allenbrighton

spares

Post by allenbrighton »

hi i have a cheeky question , ref spares for square four mk2 i am on a limited budget so i am reticent to join the club @£28.00 to buy spares unless i know if the club spares dept has them --namely an oversize valve guide --woodruff key for the coupling gears , and an otto headgasket set for a mk2 square four , at the moment dragonfly cant quote a delivery time for these , can anybody check for me so i wouldnt be wasteing the membership money sorry to be cheeky but needs must as the devil drives , and the season is marching on

many thanks
allen
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: spares

Post by chris.shearwood »

If you are on a limited budget, what are you doing with a Square Four?
1946 4G and 1951 VH
allenbrighton

Post by allenbrighton »

what a strange reply -as life goes on you will reach retirement with all the financial constraints that offers
regards
allen
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

When people ask my advice on whether to buy a SQ4 I tell them not to, then they ask why. Because they are expensive and as reliable as a single but take 4 times longer to fix and cost 4 times as much. I agree with Chris, if you are on a budget, sell the sQ4 and buy a single, you will be able to buy a good one and have money left over to fix it properly.

The club stocks Otto gaskets but not as far as I know not oversize valve guides and almost certainly not keys. You would have to ask the SQ4 spares guy by the name of Bruce 01508 548 412 definitely no email, Bruce runs on steam. Oversize guides are difficult things to stock, how oversize do you want them, no doubt not the same size as anyone else, besides this is not a common problem with SQ4 so there is little demand.

Membership is a lot more than spares and is only £22.50 after the first year.

Roger
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by daveleek »

Allen, if you join the Ariel OC you have access to club spares and I am sure those parts you need are available as I purchased Otto head gaskets and coupling gear keys from Bruce just recently ,so you will immediately save money plus you will recieve the club magazine every month
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

daveleek wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:07 pm ... plus you will receive the club magazine every month
Joining the club is the single most useful thing you will do if you want to own an Ariel, especially a SQ4. You'll need the collective experience and support that only the club provides, plus the occasional shoulder to cry on.

And you'll learn the truth behind the myths!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
ian williams

Post by ian williams »

hi Allen ;
i dont own a sq4 but i have other ariel motorbikes .
as far as im aware , the club puts a high percentage of its efforts on spares into the square 4 model and it invests a lot of finance and time into obtaining parts or having them made , so it is worth belonging to the club for that reason even if you are not interested in the social side of things .

some of the members put a lot of time into the club and what with the ever changing rules and regulations they still keep the club going forward .

the forum is a place where you can get so much information and help from the other members , and this alone could save major headaches or could find that elusive part we need .
theres a fair few sq4 owners who have a vast knowledge about them and are readily willing to help out or lend a hand or even parts , and any questions you have on them are usually answered or sorted out quickly .

i have a single and some 2 strokers myself and i can get help with any of them if i ask , and from what i have learned about them myself in my lifetime i am only too happy to pass on to anyone else .

the club magazine is a monthly item and is very good and perhaps worth most of the membership cost in itself , not to mention the fact that once a member you can download a lot of information and manuals etc direct from the archives on the website .

if the club doesnt have it or do it then you will find someone who will tell you who or where to go , to get what you need .

draganfly are a godsend for many bits and pieces and between them and the club it makes things a lot better for us all so we can keep our bikes up together and ridden .

geoff who does the gearbox spares is not only stocking the spares but has vast knowledge about the gearboxes themselves and which parts fit what etc , you wont find a better source for clutch corks or knowledge .

even if you dont join the club , the offer of help is still there from the members anytime you need .

hope you get the bike sorted and then able to feel what we do when we are out on and ARIEL .
cheers
ian