model B 557 sv gearbox ratio

Anything about Ariels
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

model B 557 sv gearbox ratio

Post by charvey »

Hi all, Just got my model B going out for it first long run and its a bit slow in top can I change the front sprocket or what to raise the top speed a bit more than it is ?, it pulls very well up hill surprisingly well for a SV and there is plenty of compression etc., or do I need to change the ratio's in the gearbox, any advice, going by the numbers on the g/box it is a low ratio box, thanks Clive.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: model B 557 sv gearbox ratio

Post by Roger Gwynn »

As standard my B has a 16T engine spkt, I run it with a 21T, which is OK in the low countries but I am taking it to the Black Forest next week and will change to a 19 in deference to the hills. 1st is still not used on the flat unless a quick getaway is required but I suspect that starting in 2nd is quicker as it saves a gear change. But speed is not really the point. Overall ratio is always altered using the engine sprocket, all boxes are 1:1 in top gear. I see in 1927 Ariel quoted 17 or 18, then 21 or 23 in 1928-30.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi Roger, thanks for the information on the front sprockets i will sort that and try a bigger sprocket as you suggest and see how she goes and you are right about first gear its very low. regards Clive
BleiererAndreas

Post by BleiererAndreas »

Hi Guys!

May I ask where I get different sprockets for the Model B?

Regards
Andreas
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Depends on the year, which is always useful information. The sprockets changed in 1928,29 and 1930. Certainly later 1946 sprockets will fit fro 1930, not sure about earlier models. I was lucky in that my bike came with alternative sprockets.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi you can try Geoff Brown at the clubs gearbox and clutch parts , or try Drags they may have the sprockets you need