1953 4 pipe petrol tank wanted please

KerryD

1953 4 pipe petrol tank wanted please

Post by KerryD »

Please help, I need a petrol tank for my 4 pipe 53 square 4, it has the oblong badges (not round) I have not seen this type from India advertised, I am not sure if it is the same as other models of ariel ? Mine needs re chroming and painting but I don't want it off the road too long.

I have recently bought it and really surprised how nice it is, not the heavy awkward thing people think, and such light steering, like no other !

I am new to forum so not sure if I should put phone number etc ?

Thanks
Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1953 4 pipe petrol tank wanted please

Post by Paul_Linden »

Don’t put your phone number on a public internet forum. If you want members to contact you they will send a PM (private message) via the forum interface.
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi, as paul says do not put your phone on the forum you can be open to scammers :roll:
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

KerryD wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:11 pmI have recently bought it and really surprised how nice it is, not the heavy awkward thing people think, and such light steering, like no other !
What tyres and pressures are you using?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The petrol tank is unique to this model and year, flutes, enamel badges and large capacity. I would be surprised if you find one. I would be happy just to have a good tank and either use it as is or put up with taking your bike off the road for a period. Note that any Ariel tank from a plunger or rigid from at least 1933 will fit and could be used as a temporary replacement, although a 350 tank may look a bit silly.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
KerryD

Post by KerryD »

Still getting used to this forum, thanks for replies, I did wonder if the tank was unique, now I know it is.
With so much rain I have only managed one ride out,
Regarding tyre pressures, I have started reading the handbook now so will get a good idea what they should be but the experts on tyre pressures all agree pressures need to be higher than originally due to modern rubbers etc ??
I need to ride more asap but I am impressed so far, it is not the horrible heavy slow thing many people think !
Kerry