choice of 16 or 19 in rims for arrow

ian.dabney

choice of 16 or 19 in rims for arrow

Post by ian.dabney »

I have acquired a box of arrow/leader bits (70 % there) and am looking to pull together an arrow. Their is no tinware or rear dampers (have frame, forks, swingingarm, engine, hubs, racing seat and non arrow expansion pipes); hence I was considering (from cost considerations) going for the minimalism racing look with a fairing. However I have seen that the racers seem to use 19in rims. Clearly this effects the handling, ground clearance, it also allows the use of alloy rims which can be spoked to a 40 spoke 7 inch full width ariel front hub.

Appreciate members experience and advice on such a modification for road use.
regards
Ian

AOMCC # 1017
'52 KH
'56 VH
29/31VF
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: choice of 16 or 19 in rims for arrow

Post by Roger James »

Hello Ian,
Re your proposed Cafe Racer Arrow project.
I'm not sure that you would be able fit a 19 inch wheel to the rear of your Arrow, dont think there is room, the tyre might rub on the cross section at the front end of the swinging arm, you would have to measure or trial fit a 19 inch wheel rim if you've got one.
I think the racer boys fit 18 inch wheels. I'll ask Ian Green who races the Invicta Arrow these days and see what wheels sizes he has fitted to his Arrow (bearing in mind also owners of Arrow racers these days usually go to the expense of having a stronger swinging arm specially manufactured that might also allow fitting of 19 inch wheel).
I still think fitting 18 inch wheels would be your best bet, in any event whatever larger size you fit than standard will also alter gear ratios to a certain extent that might not be suitable for road use.

Last April I trial fitted a Close Ratio box to a road bike Arrow fitted with standard 16 inch wheels and 47T rear sprocket, initially thought it was brilliant but soon found on the slightest incline I couldnt pull away in first gear, hadnt thought of that aspect.

all the best

Jess
Attachments
Pete Coogans racing Leader ridden by Mike Hose one of the fastest Leader/Arrow racers on the circuit these days.
Pete Coogans racing Leader ridden by Mike Hose one of the fastest Leader/Arrow racers on the circuit these days.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

18'' wheels

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello Ian,

I have 18'' wheels on my Arrow but the rear sprocket had to be changed to a 52 tooth one to get the bike to pull in top. The tyre comes very close to the top of the forks on full deflection.
See http://www.arielbikes.co.uk.

Brian.H.
ian.dabney

Post by ian.dabney »

Roger, Brian
Many thanks for your help and advice - food for thought
regards
Ian

AOMCC # 1017
'52 KH
'56 VH
29/31VF