Arrow warm-up

paul.darnell

Arrow warm-up

Post by paul.darnell »

My Arrow starts first kick whether hot or cold so that is pleasing. However, when starting from cold, it seems to take several minutes of "warming-up" before it is happy to drive off without choke. It tries to die when I open the throttle but recovers quickly when going back to idle. When it is hot it is fine. Is this a feature? I wonder if the needle needs to be raised by 1 notch as it only occurs when cold as it comes off of idle. I wonder if it is slightly weak in the mid-range of the carb.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Arrow warm-up

Post by nevhunter »

Could well be, Mid range is a combination of needle position and slide cut out.. If a two stroke gets too rich it will 8 stroke on light load. See what effect applying a bit of air slide does. IF it goes worse with a bit more throttle,it's Lean Nev
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

It is important to fully warm the engine anyway, so a few mins is a nice period to get all those different metals nice and warmed up to operating temperature. Sometimes a notch up or down is too much either way, so try placing a very thin washer under the needle clip. Also, the fuel in the carb if left even for a short while will mainly have oil in it's float bowl, as the petrol will have evaporated off a little bit, making a gloopy mix, difficult to ignite.
paul.darnell

Post by paul.darnell »

I always shut the fuel off when about 300 yards from home so the float bowl is more or less empty when I stop. As it is easy to raise the needle I will try it as I can always put it back if it doesn't help. It's a shame that the choke is either on or off as it would have been nice to be able to feed it off gradually when riding with a thumb lever.
Trev Sellars

Post by Trev Sellars »

Just check the float bowl level too, that will make a difference. I made up a fuel level indicator by drilling out a spare float bowl drain plug and attaching some clear plastic hose. Great for checking float bowl level and if you keep it on, great for draining the fuel out of the carb as well, when you park it up.
You can introduce a richer mix by blocking off some of the air filter with electrical tape as an experiment, if it improves then you know to raise the needle. I have a MK1 concentric with a thumb lever choke fitted, makes life a bit easier.