1929 Ariel model B oil leak on crankshaft

Anything about Ariels
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

1929 Ariel model B oil leak on crankshaft

Post by charvey »

Hi All, Just started my 1929 and there is oil leaking out of the crankshaft on the drive side it is running along the crank and then flicking out onto the crankcases,
I have stripped out the primary side to see better and the oil is leaking along the crank and then flicking out on the dynamo pulley all over the case is there a seal there or a shield inside or does the first spacer act as a seal which at the moment there seems to be a bit of a space between the spacer and crankcase, any help please, thanks Clive.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1929 Ariel model B oil leak on crankshaft

Post by nevhunter »

The aluminium Case has probably worn due a loose bearing at some time. Make a bigger diameter spacer and maybe machine a scroll on it in the correct direction to return any oil. Your engine might be suffering blowby also which would make it worse. Nev
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi Nev, Thanks for the reply after stripping the drive side shocker etc., yes the spacer was a smaller diameter than the hole in the crankcase I found a spacer that is a very good fit so will try it, The hole in the crankcase does not seem oval or worn, so I take it the spacer is the problem I made a pressure/pusher to compress the shocker absorber using the thread in the end of the crankshaft there is no way I could have done it otherwise good old Ariel design team, When watching the oil coming out it does not seem under pressure just tiny tiny little droplets flicking of the dynamo cog not blasting out under any sort of pressure so hopefully that is a cure, also the grease has stopped coming out of the g/box drive end so I must have over grease/oiled it so it seems to have found its own level, when I pulled apart the gearbox drive cog etc., the two shields are in place and a good fit under the circlip the only way to top it up is that little hollow case bolt the other side to take the grease and oil top up if needed, thanks again Clive.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Does your drive side mainshaft have a grease nipple at the end? It will make the parts there last longer. Nev
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Hi Nev, The drive shaft has a threaded hole in the centre which I use to make up a spring compressor to help fit the cush drive I didn't know about a grease nipple is that to grease the cush drive or what ? regards Clive.
P.S., It's all a bit of a steep learning curve but very interesting so far.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Yes it's 1/4 BSF Or cycle for a standard straight nipple. Clean out the hole first ideally. Looks after the shaft spline and camface shock absorber. Grease fairly frequently.. Oil the chain regularly also with a good "clingy" chainspray if you want it to last especially when new. Nev
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Thanks Nev, I will clean out the hole and find a grease nipple to fit but the clearance between the end of the crank and cover is very close almost to close to fit a grease nipple so will have to check first, thanks again Clive.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I would be putting a hole in the cover, carefully and on centre. AJS of the period had a removable small cover held on by 3 screws. Nev
charvey
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charvey »

Thanks again Nev, should see you at the Ariel meeting, Regards Clive.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Checked my 1930 "original" primary chain cover. It has a 5/8 hole to access the nipple. Nev