1954 VH Cylinder Head

Singles, twins and fours.
BobWard

Re: 1954 VH Cylinder Head

Post by BobWard »

All Aluminium repairs by Russell Bratt, search on Facebook for BadFoot Customs for examples of work he is based in Byram cum Sutton near Leeds. A proper repair is when the crack is completely ground out and filled back in against the repair showing on your head where the crack has been surface welded by the tapped and threaded rocker box mount and not through the Fins or even drilled out the ends of the crack. I have no affiliation to this company but think his work for R C readers is brilliant. Bob
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

SimonFletcher wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:41 pm @Simon.G's thread link above seems to be for new barrels, rather than heads?
Correct, Mick's post is about barrels. I believe it was the same source for the new heads that were available a while back, but looking at this again heads no longer get a mention. No harm in asking though!

See also
viewtopic.php?p=89210#p89210

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

To do a good STRUCTURAL repair you have to get right in there to make it as strong as the surrounding metal otherwise it will fail again in no time. Fins in the way have to be removed and then built up again after the main repair is done. You may have to mill and shape the repair to look like new but It can be done. I have no doubt that head is repairable. Has it got an internal iron "skull" or 2 inserts. Some of the Ariel Heads are a bit soft. Whether thats due Heat or how they were I'm not sure. They were a bit renowned for it and the crankcases or Sq4s were a bit suss in about 50-51. IF the Head casting's Porous it won't weld real cleanly. TIG and vee out and preheat first. It's on a corner so that makes it easier. I think those heads are scarce I got a new one from John Budgeon quite a while ago but haven't used it yet. It seems to be good metal but has a failrly large exhaust port.. Nev
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Not too sure where you are located, but these guys, near Stowmarket, Ipswich, did some welding work on another type of alloy head a few years back and I was very happy with the results.

Finally finished with vapour blasting and the repairs were hard to spot.

http://www.seager-engineering.com
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

A "proper" repair is where you get right into the cracks fully Vee'd out and worry about the fins after that is done. The parent metal has to weld well and not have porosity. Preheating is usually required. There should be no undercutting at the weld edges. I have usually used 5% silicon rod. You need the proper TIG equipment and use argon and have no wind where you are welding. In all truth some alloys of the Period were a bit soft and some makers Product s were better than other's. Fins will ring when you stroke your fingernails over them when the head is hard(er). John Budgen used to make them and I got what may be part of the last ones. Some have the smaller exhaust valve ( not John's as far as I know) and that may be the preferred head for some .A modern head would have less angle between the valves these days, needing less of a dome on the piston. Be nice to have something new available but I wouldn't hold my breath. All the more need to save what we have left. Nev
Chris Lloyd

Post by Chris Lloyd »

Fantastic job done on the head by Russel Bratt of BadFoot Customs. Thanks for the recommendation Bob Ward.
Attachments
received_586537113308332.jpeg
received_210435158478936.jpeg
received_523608903154292.jpeg
received_144287821973824.jpeg
received_594128509483288.jpeg