Vch replica

Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Vch replica

Post by Leejm »

Hi brain,
Unfortunately things do get changed over the years . It's no problem not having a the short frame . That was meant for trails riders . Where a standard road frame would be better for the road or even racing .

I'm no trails rider , so I decided to built a scrambler version of the vch . Using a standard road frame . Which you could of ordered it will one at the time anyway . I'm using the ba box , vch scramblers cam with hs followers.

Making all the vch only parts for it will complete the over all look and feel of a real one .
I need to find a tt carb , which the scrambler versions had to seal the deal as it where .

Hopefully it will turn out pretty close , but a the moment I'm pretty happy with the way it's turning out

Lee
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

The vch replica now, just building up the wheels should be rolling very soon
Attachments
20230812_125912.jpg
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Very nice,
AOMCC Treasurer
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The TT carb wasn't supplied unless specified. My roundbase had one with a HC piston a spare set of wheels and alloy guards and supplied June 1950 and despatched direct to some car salesman in Melbourne Australia The short frame is not particularly an asset for fast speeds. When I got it about 1970 there was no sign of the TT carb. At that time I had no real idea of what the bike was. There was not much about them around I thought it was "Home Made" till I saw some thing in a book by the American, Floyd Clymer. Fortunately I just assembled exactly as it was. and later put electrics on it and rode it fully registered. and it's still like that. Nev
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Hi nev, I've used a standard road frame , which would be better like you say for a road going bike . I'm building it as a scrambler version. For one I'm no trails rider and two it will be a more usable bike that way. Ba box , high comp piston , hs cam with hs inlet follower . The carb is a concentric. Would like a tt csrb but that can wait for now . I'm going to run a led rear light for a brake light on total loss . No front headlight ! No dynamo. A small battery will be hidden in a bsa bantam tool box that I have modified to fit where the battery would normally go . It will look neat but with the safety of a brake light .
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The "concentric' is alright.It was even used on some Later JAP speedway bikes on alcohol but a bit bigger than what you might have. The tank uses spacers to raise it a bit fitted above the normal rubbers using longer bolts. Make sure the bolt threads are tight in the tank and the thread is only the correct length and no longer or you risk having the thread wear and the bolt end puncturing the tank.. I also stuck to using corks in the clutch plates. Nev
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

I've already sorting the tank mounts. 1 inch rubbers with longer bolts . I've welded the bolts so they will only screw in to the depth of the thread in the tank . So no issues in putting a hole in it . Your right no issue in keeping the concentric. But it will look more authentic with a tt . The carb is 930 by the way .
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The ports were polished but the " as sold"motor was no more highly tuned than a VH. Bearings used to come loose in the MAGNESIUM (electron) cases due the extra expansion in some of them but that doesn't apply to your cases.. Nev
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

That is looking great Lee! I see you've also got the setup for the speedo which only was in use for a very short period!
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

I have Paul, a lucky find . Looking forward to be being finished.