Front brake cable source

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Front brake cable source

Post by nevhunter »

Don't want to create an issue but that size would be far too short for both bikes here. Dead on 19" for the outer. Route it through the shackles or the headlamp straps. Standard handle bars . Both bike years of use. Nev
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Thank you for taking the time to measure Nev. That extra 2.5 inches (19 inch sleeve) would allow the cable to fit my application!

I will get the short one sent back to Drags once we are through Christmas and then have to see about a source for a cable the same length as yours!

Many thanks

Adam
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I make most of the cables I Use from longer ones or basic cable. You need the end bit's of the correct size on the outers. For the wire cable, tin the strands before cutting them or it becomes a mess. When putting the brass ends on spread the wires out to stop the soldered wire pulling back through under load. Wash out all flux to prevent rust or use resin. Nev
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

I have just checked the length of the cable on my 4G and it is shorter than the Drags one you have! So I am somewhat baffled why yours doesn't fit and why Nev's is also longer. You are routing the cable outside the headlamp brackets, aren't you?
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Both bikes I checked are actually 40 models with the Rubber supports and standard length bars and the cables are routed through either the Lamp supports or between the fork shackles . IF you kept away from that you COULD have a shorter cable but it would be flapping around in space more, with nothing to support it. I didn't do the existing cables on these bikes and they are very satisfactory in use and look neat enough... Nev
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Thank you for all the help, I had one made by jj cables, looks decent quality and now should fit fine.

Thanks

Adam
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Reading this thread, it does occur to me that there is an awful lot to be said for making your own cables. I have done for many years now with success.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.