Coil

General electrical problems
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Coil

Post by Brian.Challinor »

Where and how does the coil mount on a 52 square four?.
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, it goes underneath the seat and bolts to a T bracket that also holds the voltage regulator.
Some hide them in the tool box.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Coil

Thanks Roy, Any chance of a photo ?
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Note coils need to be cooled. Inside the tool box may not be the best place. Nev
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, it's Brenton!
The coil has the usual (car type) U type clamp with two bent tab feet. This bolts to the T bracket.
As you can see, the T bracket bolts to the normal regulator tabs on the frame, with "risers" for the regulator.
At the back, mine doesn't actually bolt to the frame earth point, but this may be an assembly error. It looks like it should.
There is a single bend in the part of the T bracket that points front to back. I've put the arrow in about the right spot.
Keep the coil as low as you can. There isn't huge clearance and it's almost possible to tap the HT lead with the seat frame over a bump.
Certain important human anatomical structures can be in this area and may not appreciate electric shock treatment..

Jokes aside, I have dislodged the HT lead while riding (and survived). There is a school of thought that this mounting point is a bit exposed to weather (hence the toolbox). I've found that the seat does fine and keeps the coil reasonably dry.

Hopefully, someone has one of these brackets in the shed, and can take a photo without all the crap around it.
Attachments
coil bracket.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I didn't know I needed that bracket. Thanks for showing us Brenton!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Brian.Challinor
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Coil

Ta Benton,
Looks a bit home made? I think I get the idea. Might use a bit of poetic licence under there.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Yes Brian, It could be. I can't find it in the '51 parts book. Not on Drags site either.. I have another bike, a rolling chassis and parts - and unfortunately, the mount isn't there - well, not attached to the frame. It could be in a box though. It looks familiar. I can't see how else you would mount the coil, short of just bolting it to the frame earth. That is only a 1/4" bolt.
It would be good to have another MK1 owner verify, or show how they have the coil mounted.
Brenton