New member intro

General talk about the W/NG
stevewhitt
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: New member intro

Post by stevewhitt »

Thank you Simon, I am on the case!

Does anyone know where to buy the field stand spring clips p/n 2462-41?

Cheers

Steve
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

I don't think they are available. Alan Moore wrote a post on how to make them. He also made a video:

https://youtu.be/6K-WzNEJJzs
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

If it's 44 then it would also have the headlight switch located under the seat (RH side) with a blank headlamp shell (no ammeter) The switch has a "Test" position at the anticlockwise limit.. For the tail Light I'd put something off the pannier frames and have a stoplight if you ride it in traffic much. this is because I don't like to drill extra holes in the hinged part of the rear guard. Is there any trace of the ID (contract no) plate ? Maybe try John Budgeon for the spring Clips? Nev
simon.holyfield

stevewhitt wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:35 pmDoes anyone know where to buy the field stand spring clips p/n 2462-41?
Let me know if you find any, I need a pair too!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
stevewhitt
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by stevewhitt »

nevhunter wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:06 pm If it's 44 then it would also have the headlight switch located under the seat (RH side) with a blank headlamp shell (no ammeter) The switch has a "Test" position at the anticlockwise limit.. For the tail Light I'd put something off the pannier frames and have a stoplight if you ride it in traffic much. this is because I don't like to drill extra holes in the hinged part of the rear guard. Is there any trace of the ID (contract no) plate ? Maybe try John Budgeon for the spring Clips? Nev
Hi Nev
Thank you for your comments, but I am puzzled! This is what I know...
The bike, based on frame number is the 81st from 350 from contract S6520 for the Admiralty in 1944.
I have the Spare parts list for contracts 294/23/S2601 (March 44), 294/C/11103 (April 44), and 294/23/S.5514 (Nov 44) and all of these show headlights with the light switch fitted and in some cases an ammeter.

If anyone has the spare parts list for contract S6520 I would be very grateful for a copy.

March 44 and April 44 lists ammeter 364461 and switch assembly 351900, November 44 only lists switch assembly 314592. At the moment I can't find any way to reference these part numbers to specific Lucas switches or ammeters.

Could you explain to me please about the background to your comments regarding the blank headlamp shell?

Cheers

Steve
simon.holyfield

Those are Lucas part numbers Steve. I have a 1958-1962 Lucas catalogue that lists numbers very like those, but not those specific ones.

Try here:

http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/ ... /index.htm

Lastly, what little I have found out suggests that the change to the 'push button' headlamp, with the switch under the seat and no ammeter was made late in '44. Orchard & Madden state in @British Forces Motorcycles' that the original arrangement was reinstated later.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Steve, from your frame Number your bike's build date is 16/6/44 Which is the last batch in 1944. There are spare parts lists of the different versions about which I have used as references for the 3 that I've built . The later bikes used a lot of parts that are common to most of the british military bikes at the later time like handlebar levers Valve lifter and a common seat . Your bike would also have the "TIN" primary chainguard but it's up to you how far you go . I got one (chainguard) from Belgium years ago. They were RARE then. Nev
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

The tin primary do seem scarce but I have seen 2 since I have been looking since early this year, one with no dome and the other, which I purchased for my project, came with most of the dome so they do come up!

What i have not seen ANY of is the tin timing chain cover...at all!

Looks like you have a lovely bike there!

Best regards

Adam
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The TIN mag chain cover is quite thick and should survive well, but having said that the one I know of came with the bike which came from India with tele forks and was in very ordinary condition. I picked up a new tank and brand new forks for that model.. The early ones had rubber footrests and tank rubbers and no doubt there will be people who decide "certain bikes are WRONG because there IS a wide variation, but most think my extensively ridden 41 model W/NG bike is a Military M20 that's how much notice most take of it. Early models that have seen active service could have any of the later type stuff used to service it and many were civilianised by dealers and sold off after the war ended.. The Gearbox ratios are of the trials type with a big gap to top like the 39 ISDT bike which the W/NG was a copy of. Oh the headlamp rim is brass as is the original ammeter where fitted. The brake shoes are pressed steel. Good luck. Nev