Identify my Dad's two Ariels

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
ChrisM

Identify my Dad's two Ariels

Post by ChrisM »

I'm not a Club member (yet!) as I am considering my next project, most likely to be an Ariel, so wonder if knowledgeable Club members can help me at this time.

I am drawn to restoring a bike that my late father had. According to the DVLA the actual bikes are no longer registered but the same model may be within reach. I'd like to check though, I believe one to be an Ariel 350cc NH (or NG?) Red Hunter that was first registered in Bath between March 1949 - January 1950, but would appreciate more details to identify the precise model and year. Sadly, I had no interest in bikes when Dad was around and regret this as I know he had several including during his time doing National Service. The photo of him riding in his suit is when he had a weekend pass from the RAF!

The other bike is, I believe, an Ariel Colt 200c c1954. Again, any further information would be appreciated.
Attachments
Dad's Ariel Colt 200c c1954.jpg
Dad's Ariel NH Hunter (Small Filesize).jpg
Dad Riding Ariel NH Hunter (Small Filesize).jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Identify my Dad's two Ariels

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello, welcome to the forum.

on Carandclassic is a '56 Colt : https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1483311
1956-ariel-colt-62e6de2ce51d0.jpg
and also a '46 twin port 350 https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1481788
1946-ariel-nh-red-hunter-350-62e0f105e6479.jpg
your dad's 350 looks like a NG model with painted rims.
these early post war Ariels had a front hub with on the brake side all spokes with the spoke heads on the inside.
later hubs had them alternating. also the whole forks sits a bit closer to the headstock.
Main clue are the 'short' headlamp ears the later ones became 'longer' .
The one on Carandclassic looks correct for the type your dad had.
It looks o.k. but I dont like the 'angular' curves the front exhaust pipes make compared to the -original- ones on the b/w picture.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

VHT 899 is indeed a 1955 Colt. The reg is from Bristol, issued between July and August 1955. Not many about these days but usually cheap, some gearbox parts are hard to find but a complete BSA C group gearbox is an easy replacement.

BFB 513 is a Bath reg from March 1949 to Jan 1950. A lovely photo of a bike that can only be a few years old at the time although the silencers have obviously been changed. There are several features that confirm the date of the bike, unusual to still see painted oil seal holders and front brake plate. Almost certainly an NG (de-Luxe) rather than a NH (Red Hunter) given that the paint is black rather than red. Rigid and teles, lovely combination.
Photo is almost good enough to read the engine number.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I hadn't noticed, when we saw this on FB, but the NG has what looks like an after market stop light.

Great pictures.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Thank you all, Bath and Bristol registrations make total sense as he was living at Shirehampton at the time.
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

There are virtually no records existing for Bath registrations but Bristol seem to have fairly comprehensive records for everything.
(Kithead Trust for details of what might be found in archives:
https://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales
Bristol archives:
https://archives.bristol.gov.uk/guides/ ... 202020.pdf )

A visit to Bristol might get the full details of the Colt, including engine and frame numbers. From these the factory records (via eg AOMCC) would confirm the machine spec as built!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Thank you!